Case splitting and crank rebuilding

Got questions? We got answers....
Roadhazardguy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Roadhazardguy »

A while back my step dad had stopped by a shop in town and asked if they could split the cases and rebuild the crank on my KDX, well the guy said sure he can do that no problem. It was even the same guy that had done some work for him back in the 80's on a dirt bike of his.

So yesterday I took my engine down to that shop so I could get it all fixed up. Well when I get there he says no I don't do that anymore, and i sold all my tools for doing that kind of stuff a long time ago. I asked if he will even split the cases and remove the crank for me so I can send the crank off to someone who will rebuild it but he said no to that too. He also says good luck fining anyone that rebuilds cranks anymore and I should just take all the parts I just bought and use them as paper weights because that bike isn't worth wasting your time on anyway; and even if he was to do the work it would be about a $400 bill. He says the only Jap bikes he works on anymore are ones of his own and he only likes working on older stuff.

Yeah so I pretty much get the impression that my work isn't good enough for him because when an older guy goes in there he can do the work just fine but when some young punk goes in there then he can't do it and I probably couldn't afford it anyway. He has a big shop press sitting there for crying out loud but for some reason he sold off his pullers? For some reason the whole experience just pisses me off a little, maybe its just me.

So I'm back to square one trying to find someone who will do this for me near by. Ive also been thinking about just splitting the cases myself but I don't have a press or a crank puller to get it back together after I get the crank done. Do you guys suggest Ron black for rebuilding my crank, $40 seams pretty darn good I'll just have to add shipping to to that. Maybe I'll send him my carb and head while I'm at it...
Tony
1988 KDX 200
1980 KD 80
1989 ATK 406
1984 RM 500
1980 KZ 1300
2008 SM450R
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Send the crank to either Ron or Andrew Cooksey (http://www.cookseycrank.com). I went with Cooksey on the recommendation of my club members and have to say I am extremely happy with his work, communication, and turnaround time. One of my riding buddies, after riding my bike, commented that my bike was the smoothest bike he has ever ridden. Smoothness comes from a well balanced and trued crank. Cooksey is a bit more expensive than Ron but he specializes in just crank rebuilding. BTW, Cooksey is in Coppell, TX. Also, as for doing the whole bottom end, Cooksey does that as well and is very reasonably priced IMO.

Not trying to take any work away from Ron as he does absolutely awesome work (he pressed my KX stem and I have his head and carb mods). Its just that Andrew does awesome work as well and he is a lot closer to you. Ron or Andrew, whichever you choose, you can't go wrong!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Roadhazardguy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Case splitting and crank rebuilding

Post by Roadhazardguy »

Well hell. My parents just went up to dallas on friday, they could have brought it with them. Does his prices include the rod kit?
Tony
1988 KDX 200
1980 KD 80
1989 ATK 406
1984 RM 500
1980 KZ 1300
2008 SM450R
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Yes, if you look at his crank rebuilding page right at the top he says it includes a Pro-X or Hot Rods kit.
'11 GasGas EC250R
Roadhazardguy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Case splitting and crank rebuilding

Post by Roadhazardguy »

That's what I thought but I wasn't real sure because he only mentions KTM there. I have a new rod kit for it but I'm kind of leery because its not a highly recommended brand and I see people here and there say to not use it but I cant find any mention of an actual failure from one. The box it came in says Psychic MX Components and on the rod its self it says Royal 1029. Ive found that company and they mention using machinery from Japan, USA, and Germany but there contact info says there in Taiwan. http://www.con-rod.com.tw/aboutus.htm
I could probably ask Cooksey and see what he says. So now I need to get these cases split...
Tony
1988 KDX 200
1980 KD 80
1989 ATK 406
1984 RM 500
1980 KZ 1300
2008 SM450R
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I'm not familiar with that brand so I'm no help. Yeah, I would ask Cooksey about it as I'm sure he knows. If it is OK to use he will use your rod kit no problem. I had already bought my Hot Rods kit before finding Cooksey and he used it on my crank.
'11 GasGas EC250R