Bringing back a 99 KDX 200, HELP!!

Got questions? We got answers....
Heers68

Post by Heers68 »

Bought this KDX a month ago very reasonably from a fellow that didn't take very good care of it. The bike sat outside in weather alot and has had no general maintenance for a couple years! :sad: I brought it home and cleaned the dirtiest, greasiest, mess I've ever seen off of it! I will attempt to restore the bike with my very limited knowledge, that is where the HELP part comes in!! Bike runs strong but seems to be jetted to rich, wondered if it is jetted this way because of the FMF Gold Series pipe and silencer? Carb has 155 main jet, 45 pilot. No matter how much I clean the carb it always leaks out the overflow like the floats are stuck or like the float needle isn't sealing. I thought it might be junk from either the rotted old air filter(now replaced with a new Uni) or from dirt in the tank but took the tank off and flushed it today and cleaned out the petcock too, also cleaned out and degreased the air box and carb boot. Took it for a ride and seemed to be holding its gas fine, but came back and parked it and low and behold,Still leaking fuel out the carb overflow! Found out the petcock is not shutting off the fuel flow all the way after discovering the leaking carb again, don't know why, the seals all looked good inside and I cleaned the heck out of that sucker...? Still the float needle should stop the flow right? I have even bent the tab on the floats a bit to press the needle down more, not alot, still doesn't compress the spring loaded button all the way on the needle. (should the spring loaded button be depressed all the way by the floats?? Or??)Rubber point on needle looks good, not deformed or hard as best I can tell...drivin me nuts!! My shed smells like a gas bomb, if anyone smoked in there it would be!! Clutch was very grabby and didn't wand to engage and disengage right at first but since I dumped the crappy old oil and put in new it is getting better and better. Needs rear wheel bearings too, I picked up a Pivot Works set for that, hope they have a good rep? And hope they won't be super hard to replace. Other than that just replacing lost bolts here and there, and need some new shrouds that are in better shape. Put new bulbs in the lights and luckily they work fine. Suspension is set up pretty stiff and I wonder if optional heavier springs have been installed? (I,m 210lbs and she sits up high and can take a hit without getting close to bottoming) rear shock spring is blue and preload is about right in the middle of the available threads on the shock, is that position cranked down alot or average?? Appreciate any insight into these questions , especially the carb leaking and jetting...is 45/155 too rich even with FMF exhaust? I run bike with air box lid off, I have no choice actually, it didn't come with one! And throttle slide needle set on center slot. Thanks guys! Kevin.
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

The float needle should stop the flow of fuel. I would check with that first.