Do Michigan dirt bike & ORV trails close?

Got questions? We got answers....
edog600
Supporting Member

Do Michigan dirt bike & ORV trails close?

Post by edog600 »

This is my first year riding and I can't find anything on trail closures in winter or about riding during hunting season. I'll have the sleds out in winter but would like to get a couple more rides in this year on the bike. Any info about when trails close and open would be great, thanks.
sthutch
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Do Michigan dirt bike & ORV trails close?

Post by sthutch »

According you Michigan's OffRoad Vehicle Guide http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ORVguide_95964_7.pdf pages 18-19, ORV's are prohibited "in public hunting areas during the November firearm deer season, between the hours of 7:00
AM and 11:00 AM, and 2:00 PM and 5:00 PM, except for:
- going to or from a residence or hunting camp that is inaccessible by a conventional vehicle (subject to state land regulations);
- on private property, with landowner’s permission;
- passenger vehicles while being operated on roads capable of sustaining automobile traffic;
- a person holding a Permit to Hunt From a Standing Vehicle or other persons meeting disabled requirements (p.17) while engaged in hunting or fishing activity."

You might also consider that hunters like to stage drives/pushes after the morning hunt and before the evening hunt.

Shutch
Sthutch

1st Bike: '72 Arctic Cat Whisker (rode it to the wheels fell off)
2nd Bike: '76 KT250 Trials (gone, but not forgotten)
3rd Bike: '01 KDX200
4th Bike: '96 DS80 (okay, my 9yr old's and it's gone)
5th Bike: '04 RM65 (okay, he's now 10 and it's gone)
6th Bike: '08 KTM 105xc (okay, he's now 13)
7th Bike: '06 KTM 200xc-w (okay, he's now 16)