Installed new coil and no spark still.

Got questions? We got answers....
KOTW

Installed new coil and no spark still.

Post by KOTW »

I recently traded for a 1996 KDX 200 and it ran well. My first real ride was near 60 miles and no problems beyond "rider error" were present.

I went to bring the bike out 1 week later and it started on 2nd kick warmed up and I took off noticing that the top of the power band was a little lacking then the bike shut off. I check my fuel shut off and it was on. I kicked it over a few times and it would fire and quit. Once it cooled a litte it fired up and I rode it back to the trailer area where it shut off again. I then trailered it and started on the trailer it idled and I reved it with no issues. I tried it again a few days later to see if the problem persisted and it did so I cleaned the carb, no real issues there. I checked the spark and it seemed weak and then dissapeared all together. A local bike shop said that it sounded like the coil was on the way out and shutting down when it got hot. I replaced it with a $58.00 brand new one that I bought on-line and still have no spark. I disconnected the kill switch and still no spark. I did not replace the plug boot or the plug cable. I am not sure what else the problem could be or if I missed something in the installation of the new coil which seemed simple but you just never know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

KOTW
Roadhazardguy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Installed new coil and no spark still.

Post by Roadhazardguy »

I'd bet it's the CDI, but did you replace the igniter coil under the flywheel or the coil pack up above the engine? I would check for voltage before the CDI, It should be a 2 wire plug with one male and one female connector. It will be AC power. You can do an ohms test on the ignition coil too (which might be better) but im not sure what the numbers should be, I think somewhere in the 3-400 range.
Tony
1988 KDX 200
1980 KD 80
1989 ATK 406
1984 RM 500
1980 KZ 1300
2008 SM450R
KOTW

Post by KOTW »

The coil pack above. I did not look inside.
KOTW

Post by KOTW »

Lucky me it was a bad wire. I had the local dealer take a look and I made out fine.

Thanks KOTW.