Backwards Subvalve

Got questions? We got answers....
sterlin44

Backwards Subvalve

Post by sterlin44 »

I know this has been brought up a lot, but I searched the forum and can't find the exact solution for my problem. My bike runs flat as soon as it hits the powerband and doesn't rev out. I took the exhaust off and checked the kips and the right valve opens when i turn the gear, but the left valve closes. So I'm guessing the left valve is installed backwards. Do I have to take the whole top end off to switch it back the right way? Or can I just take the head off?
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Backwards Subvalve

Post by Dekon »

You should be able to just take the head off. But, removing the whole cylinder might make it easier to see if the valves are lined up the correct way.
sterlin44

Backwards Subvalve

Post by sterlin44 »

Can I just drop the subvalve in what I think is correct and then manually rotate the kips to see if it is working correctly?
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Backwards Subvalve

Post by Dekon »

If you do it that way, I would at least pull the pipe so you can look in the exhaust port to see if it is indexed corectly. Also, don't pull it out to far, you don't want to mess up the indexing on the main valve. If it were me, I would pull the whole KIPS assembly apart to check, clean, and lube it. On mine, the left valve seemed to be installed backwards, but what really happened was the gear was stripped and the valve rotated around making it look like it was installed backward. What year is your bike, because I know this will work with an E series.
sterlin44

Post by sterlin44 »

Mine is a 1996, H series. From what I've read it says I just need to remove the head.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Can I just drop the subvalve in what I think is correct and then manually rotate the kips to see if it is working correctly?
Yes.

You can do it by just removing the head. As Juliend mentioned, you really need the exhaust off so you can see what is happening.

When sitting on the bike the right hand valve actuating rod has a little o-ring on it about half way along its length, the left one does not. I am pretty sure you have just enough room to slip those out. The valves themselves have a different bands on them to identify left and right and the manual has a mis-print in it that has that backwards. I'd bet someone put them in per the manual.

It would be easier to do the job with the cylinder off.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Backwards Subvalve

Post by scheckaet »