KDX newbie help

Got questions? We got answers....
ZaBay

KDX newbie help

Post by ZaBay »

Hi All,
I'm John and I'm from philippines.I am about to buy a used KDX200 in about a month or two. As much as i would like to ask on what to look for when buying a secondhand KDX, i don't have the luxury for that as KDX are very rare in our country. What i'm gonna ask is that, what should i be changing (not necessarily ugrades but could be also) when i took ownership of the lovely KDX. By the way i'm just 5'4" ,but does not stop me from having a KDX. Thank you so much in advance and i will very much appreciate every bit of help i can get from you all KDX masters. Thanks!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: KDX newbie help

Post by Julien D »

Check all the bearings first, and fork and shock seals. If those need maintenance, it would be better to do it sooner than later. It's always a good idea to inspect the condition of the top end when buying a used bike as well. These machines are pretty reliable, but all the regular maintenance points should be checked, lubricated, or replaced as needed.
ZaBay

Post by ZaBay »

Thanks for the responsed! I'm new to all of these and i don't know quite yet how to check all of those checking you've mentioned above. Could you care to enlightened me with those sir? just to make sure because the seller might try to brag things like everything has been tuned-up or something like that.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

You should get a copy of the Owners Manual and the Service Manual. You really can't do a proper job of maintaining this bike without these books.
ZaBay

Post by ZaBay »

I doubt sir that the current owner still has the manual. It would be a blessing if he's the 1st owner, but that would not be the case i'm sure. With regards to the engine. Is there something i should change to have it like a fresher set-up?
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

John, As with any two stroke, it's always a good idea to clean out the carbon in the exhaust. The KDX has Kawasaki's KIPS exhaust power valve and you really need the Service Manual to assemble these correctly. Owner's manuals come up quite frequently on US EBAY. I understand there is an online version of the Service Manual that is available. Otherwise, I'm quite sure a Kawasaki dealer in the USA or probably the Philippines too could get one for you. As I understand it, these are on the expensive side ($80USD?) I am sure others on this board could be more helpful here. One thing to be aware of, there is an error in the service manual on how the KIPS goes together. A search online will provide the correction.
ZaBay

Post by ZaBay »

Hi sir, Thanks so much for your response. I will take note of that cleaning out the carbon in the exhaust. I will add it in my things to do list. For the service manual, i still have some time to search the internet for one, before i will have the bike. How about engine? do i have to perform any cleaning right away? what are the things that i should check for worn-out parts and possibly the ones that needs to be replace?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

On our homepage is a link to an online service manual that is great. You can download owners manuals from kawasaki.com.
ZaBay

Post by ZaBay »

Thanks for the info sir. I will be visiting that site.

I've read in this link http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 57#p117919 that for a KDX220 a piston change is needed. I will be having a KDX200 should i be doing this also?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

KDX newbie help

Post by rbates9 »

If you post up the year of the bike you could probably get some more specific answers to your questions.

Welcome to the site!
ZaBay

Post by ZaBay »

I was thinking about that when i posted this topic. But after so much reading on this site(turned me into an instant kdx lover^^) i've decided to post a "B>KDX 200" thread on our local classified adds so that i will have at least an option to choose from. I don't know if anything will come up,but it's worth a try. By the way, the bike that i had previously mentioned is the one with a blue USD fork on. I don't know what year it is.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

KDX newbie help

Post by rbates9 »

USD forks would make it an "E" series. 93-94 I think. Those bikes have a tendency to chew up the KIPS valves. Do a search and you will find a lot of talk about it. Not that it is a deal breaker, just something to know. And the previous post about the manual having a error about the KIPS does not apply to the "E's".
ZaBay

Post by ZaBay »

wow your good at this sir. Thanks for the response. That narrows things a little bit. So i should be looking for a 1995 and up models? If given a chance. Am i right?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

ZaBay wrote:wow your good at this sir. Thanks for the response. That narrows things a little bit. So i should be looking for a 1995 and up models? If given a chance. Am i right?
(personally I would say yes... :whistle: ) No, the E's are great bikes also. They have a few differences for better and worse. I would check parts availability in your area for both and go from there.
ZaBay

Post by ZaBay »

For parts availability in my area I would say it is close to non-existing. Hehe. I will be purchasing parts online (US sites), that is why i'm gathering all information i can get so that i could sort out the things that i will be ordering and get it in one shipment to save on fees. I still have two months for my KDX200 bike searching and hopefully something reasonable will come up.
Roadhazardguy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Roadhazardguy »

How hard would it be to import a bike from Australia?
Tony
1988 KDX 200
1980 KD 80
1989 ATK 406
1984 RM 500
1980 KZ 1300
2008 SM450R
ZaBay

Post by ZaBay »

Roadhazardguy wrote:How hard would it be to import a bike from Australia?
what do you mean sir?
Roadhazardguy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Roadhazardguy »

I just mean If its really hard to find a bike already in the Philippines then how hard would it be to buy one in Aus or japan and have it shipped over since they seem to be a lot more common over there.
Tony
1988 KDX 200
1980 KD 80
1989 ATK 406
1984 RM 500
1980 KZ 1300
2008 SM450R
ZaBay

Post by ZaBay »

I guess it's not impossible sir but the original price of the bike will most likely be tripled. Because our custom tax here is way over the scale. And i will also be using the KDX as a commuters bike so having it registered will be hard if the bike was imported.
ZaBay

Post by ZaBay »

94KDX200 or 98KDX220? which one is better? I have these two as a choice now. I'm leaning more on the 98KDX220 because it has more available aftermarket parts online (i guess) and also kouba links are available for this model (i'm only 5'4"). But aside from that i don't know what separates the two together? which one between the two is more fuel effecient? (both are plated and i will be using it for commuters also)