1987 KDX200 resto project

Got questions? We got answers....
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

I bought a 1987 KDX200 for my son as a project to get him wrenching and so he'll end up with a good woods bike. I plan to make a woods rider out of him so I'll have someone to ride with and he has really shown an interest lately. I will post pictures soon and try to keep the project updated in this thread. Here are my questions so far:

The original enduro computer is there and complete. The sending unit is still on the front wheel and all wiring seems to be in good condition. I removed the unit and the battery pack to find that the batteries had leaked out. I gave the battery housing a good cleaning, installed new batteries, and I am getting voltage. However, when I hook it up to the display unit, I get nothing by turning the power switch on and off.
Any ideas about repairing this unit? Any ideas of a suitable aftermarket replacement that might run off the original sending unit? Am I correct to assume that the display would come on with nothing connected to it but the battery pack?

Next is the rear shock. The guy that I bought it from said that he had replaced the seal and the oil. Howver it does not have proper dampening and he knew nothing when I asked him about the nitrogen. If in fact he went through the shock, apparently he didn't have the nitrogen recharged. At this point I would like to just go through the shock myself and replace the seals and the bladder. Does anyone know where I can find a complete kit? Any other suggestions?

Also, there is a little slop in the suspension linkage. Not bad but I would like to freshen it up. I have found that Moose offers a complete kit for 89 and newer KDX200s for $83 that have everything to rebuild the entire linkage system but I have found nothing for my 1987 model other than the uber expensive factory parts. Anyone have any ideas?

I've always admired these later model air cooled KDX200s and I am really looking forward to getting it back on the trail.

Cheers
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 1987 KDX200 resto project

Post by Goofaroo »

I think I just found a suspension linkage kit listed on the Moose site.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

That is an aftermarket enduro computer. I think the '87 just had the old analog style if it had one at all.
'00 KDX 220R
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

It is the stock computer with the dual LCD screens. Unforunately it appears to be broken. I'm guessing that there are some caps that have gone bad that are keeping the screen LCD from working but I'm not very "electrically inclined". I'm hoping that someone a lot smarter than me has figured out a fix.
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

Apparently I haven't found a kit for the shock linkage bushings. Still hoping for suggestions.
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

REgarding the computer, I have a spare that powers up, but has partly broken LCD screens. If the screens in your unit are good, and you are able to disassemble and resolder the screens into my unit, you'd have a working stock computer. If you are so inclined, I'm sure we would work something out.

Good computers come up for sale every so often (that's how I got my working unit). I just saw one on eBay last week for $50.

That said, I'm sure you can just wire up a Trail Tech computer very easily. The sensor at the wheel works like any magnet/sensor setup, so you could just splice the two wires to a Trail Tech computer and it would work fine.

REgarding the linkage parts, I think you are stuck with buying the Kawasaki parts, which are NOT all available, or going to a bearing seller with exact dimensions to get suitable replacements. The needle bearings should be very easy to source, the spherical bearings/heim joints a bit less easy. The special bolts for the linkage push rod are not available any longer, and neither are the seals/caps for the spherical bearings. I was able to buy spares from eBay to get a set of good seals/caps, and I got some less worn pushrod bolts, but they are not perfect. I'm thinking about taking them to a machine shop to have new ones made. I won't bother with drilling them for grease fittings--they are very easy to remove and grease by hand.

And of course, you have to post up some pictures!
David Eckel
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

REgarding the computer, I have a spare that powers up, but has partly broken LCD screens. If the screens in your unit are good, and you are able to disassemble and resolder the screens into my unit, you'd have a working stock computer. If you are so inclined, I'm sure we would work something out.

Good computers come up for sale every so often (that's how I got my working unit). I just saw one on eBay last week for $50.
Thanks for the info. I could probably solder in a display but mine look questionable so I think I'll watch for a replacement. I saw one on Ebay a few days ago for $99 and there were no pictures of it turned on and he didn't say whether or not it worked. I figured maybe they were rare based on his ad but it sound like I should be able to find one. If not I could install an aftermarket unit but I would prefer to keep it stock.
REgarding the linkage parts, I think you are stuck with buying the Kawasaki parts, which are NOT all available, or going to a bearing seller with exact dimensions to get suitable replacements. The needle bearings should be very easy to source, the spherical bearings/heim joints a bit less easy. The special bolts for the linkage push rod are not available any longer, and neither are the seals/caps for the spherical bearings. I was able to buy spares from eBay to get a set of good seals/caps, and I got some less worn pushrod bolts, but they are not perfect. I'm thinking about taking them to a machine shop to have new ones made. I won't bother with drilling them for grease fittings--they are very easy to remove and grease by hand.
There goes my plan. I was going to order some bolts and a few other bits for the linkage tomorrow but it sounds grim. I took the shock and linkage out tonight and while it's not that bad, I would still like to freshen it up but it sounds like it could take some time. Nothing is worn beyond service and did appear to have been serviced from time to time so I think I'll just address the shock for now. I decided to just dump the charge out of the shock and it didn't have much pressure. I think it is just suffering from a poor service job and I think I'm going to spoil myself a little and just take it to the shop and have it serviced again. The chrome on the shock's shaft is perfect and overall I would say this bike doesn't have a lot of miles on it. The footpegs are even still pretty sharp.

Here's the bike as purchased and a few of my progress.

[img]/home/dad/Pictures/KDX200/img_0056.jpg[img]
[img]/home/dad/Pictures/KDX200/img_0057.jpg[img]
[/img]/home/dad/Pictures/KDX200/img_0495.jpg[/img]
[img]/home/dad/Pictures/KDX200/img_0497.jpg[img]
[/img]/home/dad/Pictures/KDX200/img_0498.jpg[/img]
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

Apparently I don't know how to post a picture on this forum.
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

When i post a picture, I upload the images to an image hosting site like photobucket, then paste the img url in the post. The key is uploading the images to a hosting website.
David Eckel
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Hi. Good luck on your project. I have a 1987 KDX200 that I got new, so I am familiar with the stock tripmeter/timer. When powered on, it should immediately turn on and start counting time. If either side is dark black, it has a dead cell. I have bought units off eBay with one bad left cell and one bad right cell, plus even found a NOS unit once.

The bearings are tough to find. GOOD LUCK!!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

I took the linkage rocker arm off the frame tonight and the bearings are perfect. I just cleaned everything up and greased it and it's ready to go back on the bike. I've decided to service the shock myself. If anyone has any tips I'm all ears. My first question is about the oil. I am assuming stock would be 5wt but I would appreciate input. I plan to replace the seal but I've had a hard time finding a bladder. Can I assume that it is in good shape or would it be normal that the bladder needs to be replaced? What brand is this suspension? Kayaba? Showa?
david

Post by david »

Kayaba.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Racetech sells the bladder, the seal-head and a new reservoir cap (if you want it). Kinda pricey but all good. RMATV sells an aftermarket seal-head that's cheaper.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

The bladder is a standard 88mm Kayaba (KYB) part. Don't forget the bottom out bumper.

5 wt is correct. I suggest 150 psi on the shock.
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

Thanks for the replies and the info.

I took the shock apart tonight just to see what I had. The person I bought the bike from claimed that he had serviced the shock. It didn't work worth a crap so I figured he didn't know what he was doing so I was curious to get in there and see. Here's the bad news:

Once I got the spring off and worked the shock by hand it was obvious that it had air in it. After I took it apart it was obvious that the oil was pretty dirty. Oddly, it did appear that the seal around the shaft had been replaced and the shock was not leaking before disassembly. Everything came apart easily but then I brain farted very loudly and managed to drop the shim stack and loose the order. The shims are still together but I'm not sure which orientation they were in. Of course it may not matter because I have no way of knowing if it was correct to begin with. Does anyone happen to know the proper sequence of the shims?

Also, the nut at the bottom of the shaft appears to have been a bit cross-threaded at the very start. I think I will need a new nut but the damage to the shaft isn't bad and I'm confident I can repair it with a thread file. The chrome is perfect.

There were also a few shards of thin steel in the stack/head unit. It turned out that the large thin shim above the piston had some damage to the inner hole. The outside edges are fine. This also makes me wonder if the parts were assembled correctly.

There was also no bottoming bumper so I'll need to find one of those.

The good news:

Everything seems to be in pretty good shape. The bladder looks fine and I won't hesitate to reuse it. The chrome on the shaft is perfect. The bore is in excellent shape as are all of the other components. This shock should be good to go for a long time if I do a good job of servicing/repairing it.

I plan to replace the oil, install a new head-seal, install a bottoming bumper, and figure out the shim issues.

I'm open for all suggestions and I'm hoping that maybe someone can be a superhero and send me a photo showing the orientation of the shims. If that isn't possible, a list with the dimensions would work as well.

As for the oil, I did a bit of research today and thought that I had figured out that I should use 2.5wt but I never really found a definitive answer. Now you are recommending 5wt. Any further input as to which oil to use would be appreciated.

Cheers
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

2.5 would be OK, too.

Look at the shims. One will have port markings on it. The larger stack is compression and smaller is rebound. I want to say there are 7 similar sized ones on the piston.

Sorry, it has been YEARS since I had mine apart.
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

I used 5 wt in the shock I rebuilt and it works like it should, with full range of adjustments. If you ride in a colder climate, the 2.5 wt will be OK, but if you ride hard enough to heat up the shock, 2.5 may prove to be too thin.

Shim arrangement isn't readily available to me - if worse comes to worse you may be able to buy a junk shock cheap for the shims and info...sometimes they go for $20-30 on ebay.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
Roadhazardguy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Roadhazardguy »

Subscribed! Do you plan on rebuilding the whole bike?
Tony
1988 KDX 200
1980 KD 80
1989 ATK 406
1984 RM 500
1980 KZ 1300
2008 SM450R
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

[quoteLook at the shims. One will have port markings on it. The larger stack is compression and smaller is rebound. I want to say there are 7 similar sized ones on the piston.][/quote]

I'll look at it when I get home tonight and see if I can apply your info and figure out the puzzle. I think I will need to give in and set up a photobucket account so I can post pics. I've been an active member of at least a dozen forums and I've never had to do that before. It sure seems odd that I can't just copy a pic into my post. Anyway, I've been taking a few pictures and maybe if I post one of all my shock valve parts laid out in order someone can help me. It wouldn't be a bad thing to have on the site if I can get this figured out.
Shim arrangement isn't readily available to me - if worse comes to worse you may be able to buy a junk shock cheap for the shims and info...sometimes they go for $20-30 on ebay.
I've considered that.
Subscribed! Do you plan on rebuilding the whole bike?
The bike ran pretty good and shifted through the gears nicely when I bought it. I am just disassembling everything, cleaning it, and lubricating or replacing as required. I do plan to do some cosmetic work as well and I have some bodywork ideas as well. When I get it done I plan to have a great woods bike for my son and it will also see use as a loaner bike so I can take a friend riding with me. I'm 47 years old and it's getting harder and harder to find someone to ride with. I've got a few old riding buddies that don't have a bike but would love to go hit the trail every now and then. Besides that, I've always wanted a 87-88 KDX200 to go with my 85 XR350R. Before it's all said and done I will most likely end up putting a dualsport kit on the KDX as well but for now it'll be a trail bike.

As for the shock. My son only weighs about 125 lbs. and I weigh about 230 so the bike will be soft for me. The trails where I plan to teach him to ride are pretty rough with roots, rocks, ruts, erosion, sand whoops, tight trees, and deep mud at times. I will need to set the bike so that it is pretty soft and compliant to keep him comfortable and having fun. As his skills increase maybe we can firm it up a bit but for now I would like to keep the shock valving stock, set the sag for his weight, and back off on the compression and see how it works. Now if I can just figure out how to get the shock back together.................
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

This morning I decided to put the shock aside for now and move on. I am making a list of what I need to order so I decided to do some more exploration and try to complete my list. I got the swingarm off and everything in there looks good. I'll just need to clean and grease everything when I reassemble. The rear wheel looks good and I plan to just install new seals and clean everything. It doesn't have an o-ring chain but the chain and sprockets are in good shape so I might as well run them for now and replace them as a set when they start showing some wear.

The motor is leaking oil. Before I started disassembly I cleaned the bottom of the engine and it seems to be coming from the clutch cover. I need to replace the clutch cover anyway and I already bought a replacement on ebay for $38 including shipping. The old one appears to have been j-b welded to repair a hole in front of the kickstarter. I also plan to install new seals for all the shafts. By the way, the kickstarter is a bit sloppy but it doesn't appear to be bent. I'm thinking about doing the "hybrid" conversion and use the shorter arm from a KX125. Has anyone tried this? I am concerned that it may make it difficult for my son to start the bike.

I took the pipe off the bike and it will definitely need a thorough cleaning. I also took the silencer apart (Answer SA Pro) and it is pretty oily although it appears that someone recently made a half assed attempt to repack it. It will get a thorough cleaning and new packing and be reused although I have a feeling I will just have to live with how loud it is.

I have decided to go ahead and yank the motor and inspect and clean the top end. In particular, I want to ensure that the KIPS is clean and working properly. I also might as well do some thorough cleaning and repainting.

The carburetor is partially disassembled and in a ziploc bag for later attention. It seems to be in good shape but I figured I'd give it a good cleaning and inspection. Both boots are in pretty good shape but I am planning to spray them with Plasti-dip as has been suggested on this site.

As for the pics- I am taking some pictures as I go but I still haven't been able to post them to this sight. I set up an account with Photobucket but I have had no luck importing my images. I run Ubuntu instead of Windows (greatest thing I've ever done) and I'm wondering if that may have something to do with my problem. I'll take another look at it tonight and see if maybe I need to download a patch or something to address the problem. I still can't believe that I can't just add images directly to my post but that appears to be the case. I have also tried to figure out how to add images to my gallery here on the forum but so far I've had no luck. I sure would like to post a pic of the shim stack from my rear shock all laid out and see if someone can give me some input.