1987 KDX200 resto project

Got questions? We got answers....
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

I was able to upload a few pics to Photobucket so here's a photo test of the bike when purchased:

<a href="http://s1260.photobucket.com/a ... cket"></a>
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

That failed miserably. How about this?:

[img][IMG]http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii5 ... 4028a8.jpg[/img][/img]
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

I apparently can't figure out how to make the pic display in the post but at least the direct link is working. Here's the bike when purchased:

The disassembly begins:

How it looks today:

Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

Wow, was that in nie shape when you got it.
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 1987 KDX200 resto project

Post by Goofaroo »

It looks a lot better in the pics than it does taken apart and spread all over my garage. It needs a lot of work to bring it up to spec but it was a pretty good starting point. It gets most of it's charm from the fact that it appears to have never been left outside rotting in the sun and taking on water. I'm hoping to bring it back to it's original glamour.

How in the hell did you get your pictures to display in your posts on this forum?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Fixed your pics for you. Just past the link like you did, highlight the whole thing, and click the IMG button in the bbcode toolbar above. If you click edit on that post with the pics in it you can see what the tags look like.

Lookin good!
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

Thanks! I'll try that next time.
ickfinger

Post by ickfinger »

Why would you not replace the main bearrings to be on the safe side? Cheap insurance
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

I've been considering that. I looked everything over really close today and made a list (another one) of everything I need to order tonight. All the bearings seem to be in really good shape but I still may go ahead and order the crank bearings just to be safe.
Roadhazardguy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Roadhazardguy »

The bearings are KOYO 6305, you might be able to get them cheaper if you can find them by them selves. That is if you already have the crank seals.

What all did you use to pull the crank out?

You know, it's weird. My bike is a 88 with the silver engine but it has a rear drum brake, yours is a 87 with a black engine and yours has a disc brake. I just cant figure out whats going on here, PO''s swapped out parts? Image
Tony
1988 KDX 200
1980 KD 80
1989 ATK 406
1984 RM 500
1980 KZ 1300
2008 SM450R
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

That bike doesn't have a rear disc. I think you are seeing the flange where the spokes are.
Roadhazardguy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Roadhazardguy »

Durr! Yeah you're right, I should have looked at it a little closer. Still i wonder why mine has a drum as 88s were supposed to have discs front and rear.
Tony
1988 KDX 200
1980 KD 80
1989 ATK 406
1984 RM 500
1980 KZ 1300
2008 SM450R
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

The bearings are KOYO 6305, you might be able to get them cheaper if you can find them by them selves. That is if you already have the crank seals.

What all did you use to pull the crank out?

You know, it's weird. My bike is a 88 with the silver engine but it has a rear drum brake, yours is a 87 with a black engine and yours has a disc brake. I just cant figure out whats going on here, PO''s swapped out parts? Image
I pulled the crank out of it's ziplic bag and checked the crank bearings and rod bearing again and they are staying with the bike. They show no sign of wear.

I split the case with a couple of 2X4 blocks, a gasket scraper, a putty knife, a plastic/rubber hammer, a heat gun, a friend, and several beers. It actually came apart without much drama once the case was good and warm. You might want to add oven mitts to the list of tools you'll need. We just used the putty knife and gasket scraper as shims between the case halves as we tapped on the shafts get it moving apart. Just be very careful that you don't damage the mated surfaces of the case halves. I pulled the ignition with a harmonic balancer puller and a few bolts borrowed from the KDX.

Mine is rear drum just like yours. It's getting a fresh service so I hope it works reasonably well. My XR has a rear drum and it works fine until it gets worn so I just put new shoes in it when it starts to lose it's feel and effectiveness. Sooner or later though, it will need a new drum and I'll probably do a disk conversion instead of replacing the hub or having it repaired.

I can't wait to get this KDX on the trail.
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

Just as an FYI, but the 1988 models had a rear drum, too. They put the rear disc on with the E model redesign. There are a few pictures floating around of C model KDXs with rear discs, but they were modified.

Oh, and if I had a C that looked as good as yours, I would't have touched a thing! She's really going to look great when you're all done.
David Eckel
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

It looked pretty good but it needed some work. Keep in mind that it was a 25 year old bike and it had never been taken apart for service. The grease in the steering head, swingarm, etc. appeared to be original and everything just needs a good cleaning and inspection. It all started with the removal of the shock for repair and the further I got into it the more I could tell that this bike was never going to be right if I didn't go through it. When I get done I expect to have a great bike for my son and for him to learn a bit about wrenching in the process. At least that's what I've been telling my wife. She thinks I've lost my mind and she is probably right.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

At least that's what I've been telling my wife. She thinks I've lost my mind and she is probably right.
You haven't lost your mind yet.

You'll know you have when you get that bike running nicely and decide to transplant the motor into a modern chassis. I've been wanting to do that for years. Nice air cooled motor, 2005+ jap frame, hmmmm.....

Have fun!
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

It really would make a sweet hybrid motor. The only tough part would be getting a pipe to work, since it has a side exiting exhaust port. On the other hand, it might open up some frames we haven't yet considered, since a long single front downtube would probably work best. Steel framed RMZ/KXF 250s come to mind, as well as YZFs and even CRFs. Would also have to see if E/H model intake manifolds will mount up so the carb can be mounted at an angle and have a hope of marrying up to the airbox.

Fun to think about. Who's gonna be first?

Not it!

(Unless my '83 KDX 250 budget creeper has insurmountable chassis issues...)
David Eckel
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

I prefer the comfort and seating position of this frame over the later models but keep in mind that I'm old, out of shape, and resistant to change.

I boxed up the cylinder and I'm shipping it to Kustom Kraft Performance in Henderson NV to be replated. $339 including a piston kit. Parts should start trickling in and I'm hoping to get a few things reassembled.

I got the shock back today abut I forgot to give him the preload collars and he put it together without them. My fault because I took him the shock completely disassembled and managed to confuse him. I'm going to check the hose position and scribe it if they need to be rotated and take him the collars. He basically has to take the shock apart and bleed and charge it again to install the collars. All for $159 and that includes new seals and a bottom bumper. He also had to do a bit of research on the valving and finally talked to someone that knew exactly what to do. He seems confident that it is stock and he got there with the shims that I gave him but they were apparently completely out of order. Anyway, hopefully I won't have to worry about the shock anymore.

Today's question: What weight oil do you guys run in the forks? I'm going to service them this week with new oil, seals, and boots.
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

5w gives you nice compliance over small rocks and roots to prevent deflection, but might not be great in whoops.
David Eckel