1987 KDX200 resto project

Got questions? We got answers....
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 1987 KDX200 resto project

Post by Goofaroo »

Thanks for the replies. I'll roll it out in the daylight and take some better pics when I get it finished. I found a scooter I wanted on CL today so I had to take a road trip to go get it. Tomorrow I plan to get the kdx finished up.
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

It is finally up and running. I'm still going through the suggested break-in process for the new top end but it has great throttle response and shifts perfectly. Here's a few pics:
Here's how the controls turned out. The original computer is DOA but I put it back in just to keep everything together. My son will be getting a Trail Tech for Christmas and then I'll modify the original mount and clean everything up. It turned out that my XR headlight was 6 volt (which I never knew) so I modified the KDX wiring harness so that the XR headlight and bucket just plugs right in. The clutch pull is surprising light and the clutch feels great.

Once I got it together and sorted out a minor carb issue it started right up and idles great. Bottom end is very strong and I'm hoping to have it broken in tomorrow so I can give it some full throttle runs and see what happens.

There's a few things I need to sort out. The forks seem to have just a bit too much static sag (about 1 1/2 inches). There were no spacers in the fork when I took it apart. I'm thinking for now I may just add some short spacers and call it good but new fork springs are probably going to happen when summer hits and riding season is over. My son is only about 130lbs and is a novice so these will work fine for now.

The rear brakes are practically useless. I called around and couldn't find a new set of shoes here locally so I'm going to take the shoes back out and sand on them a bit and do some more de-glazing on the hub and see if I can get them working good enough for our first ride this Tuesday. Meanwhile I'll order some new shoes.

I have had a hell of a time bleeding the front brake. I have taken the master cylinder off the bar and held it up to create a straight shot down to the caliper and pulled fluid through with my Mighty Vac and then knocked on the hose to try to get the bubbles to rise to the top but I just can't seem to get it completely bled. It won't keep us from riding and the front brake can easily be locked but the lever just won't get as solid as I would like. I'll deal with it again later.

Initially I was very upset that oil was leaking at the countershaft when I left it overnight on the side stand. I replaced the seal and the o-ring while I had the motor apart. Luckily since I fired it up and rode it the leak has stopped completely.

I also had the sag set before I serviced the shock and I took measurements so that I could get the preload collar set back where it was. Now the sag is not enough so I need to back off the collars a bit. I'm guessing the new nitrogen charge has contributed to this.

Overall though, I'm very pleased. Everything came together nicely and I can't wait to see how it does on the trails. I took all these pics because this is the last time this bike will be this clean. I had to restrain myself from going overboard and painting everything but in the end it turned out perfectly presentable and mechanically solid. I've got an old Honda CB500 that I'm going to get back to work on but after that I'm thinking I might do another two stroke dirt bike. It will be either a later model KDX, a later model KTM EXC, or a mid eighties Husky WR.

This forum has been a great source of inspiration, motivation, and information.
Roadhazardguy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Roadhazardguy »

Man that bike looks good! Do you have another Kawasaki decal for the other side of the tank?
Tony
1988 KDX 200
1980 KD 80
1989 ATK 406
1984 RM 500
1980 KZ 1300
2008 SM450R
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

Man that bike looks good! Do you have another Kawasaki decal for the other side of the tank?
Actually I took the other one off. They aren't stuck on there very well and it's a pain in the butt to take the goo off the tank when you remove it. I'm taking the other one off as soon as I muster enough desire. Thanks for the compliment.

In the long run, I'm kind of thinking about a Clarke tank, some fork tuning, and a rear disk conversion.
Roadhazardguy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Roadhazardguy »

I just wish my tank looked that nice to start with, it's pretty close now but it took a lot of work.
Tony
1988 KDX 200
1980 KD 80
1989 ATK 406
1984 RM 500
1980 KZ 1300
2008 SM450R
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

Your bike looks fantastic. Great job!
David Eckel
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

Great looking build! I know what you mean about bleeding the front brakes. I've been having a heck of a time doing mine. I've done everything you've done and even the zip tie the lever over night trick and I can still pull the lever all the way to the bar and not lock the front wheel. Next I am going to try using a syringe and reverse bleed it. Hopefully that will work. But once again, a great looking build.
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the nice comments.
Great looking build! I know what you mean about bleeding the front brakes. I've been having a heck of a time doing mine. I've done everything you've done and even the zip tie the lever over night trick and I can still pull the lever all the way to the bar and not lock the front wheel. Next I am going to try using a syringe and reverse bleed it. Hopefully that will work. But once again, a great looking build.
I'm right there with you. I don't know why the hell I can't get this thing to bleed. I'm going to try again tomorrow and see if I can get it to cooperate. If I figure out something that works I'll let you know.
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

The rubber finally hit the road. We went out to Crosstimbers riding area and had a great time. The KDX started first kick every time and ran perfectly all day. I ended up adding just a bit more preload to the sock fork springs and setting the rear sag a little softer. On the trail I was following my son most of the day and I noticed he still needed a bit more sag so I will do that before we go again. I also need to install new rear brake shoes. Other than that, it ran great. I only got to ride it for a few minutes but it ran very cleanly from idle up to redline and pulled nicely. It has great bottom end pull. The suspension works well even for my 230 lbs. but if I was going to make this my bike I would need to stiffen the front just a bit and add some bar risers.

Overall, everything went well and I have a feeling this will be a very reliable bike for a long time.

Here we are heading out this morning:
And after the ride:
Roadhazardguy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Roadhazardguy »

Glad to hear it did like it was supposed to, looks like he put it to good use!
Tony
1988 KDX 200
1980 KD 80
1989 ATK 406
1984 RM 500
1980 KZ 1300
2008 SM450R
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

WOW I LIKE THE RESULT A LOT!! Congratulations!
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
terminatr

Post by terminatr »

Is there KIPS on that bike? I can't see it. When did Team Green start using KIPS?
2001 KDX220
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

1986 was the first year for KIPS on the 200. Two small sub valves only. The E series put larger sub valves and a small main valve in the middle.
David Eckel
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

GREAT JOB!!!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Antoniollosa

Post by Antoniollosa »

hello my name is Antonio and I have a KDX 200 1987, if you do not have the exact mediated internal and external flywheel, the previous mechanical flywheel broke and lost ... that could put flywheel or adapt a since in Peru apparently not meeting told me that he had a indian nippon NFP5110 :/

Greetings ....