extremely stubborn swingarm pivot bolt.

Got questions? We got answers....
90SDKDX
Supporting Member

Post by 90SDKDX »

In my quest to replace all the old neglected bearings on my E series I've run into a bit of a snag. My swingarm pivot bolt will not budge at all! Removing the nut was fairly easy but when I went to try and push the bolt out it wasn't happy. I'm guessing the thing is probably so rusted that its seized inside the swingarm.

Has anyone else run into this situation? I tried the trusty rubber mallet and that didn't help at all. I'm also trying to avoid mushrooming the end of the bolt. Any suggestions? :sad:
the machinist
Supporting Member

Re: extremely stubborn swingarm pivot bolt.

Post by the machinist »

Impact gun!
=Matt
david

Post by david »

It is rusted to the inner bearing sleeves. I used a brass drift and a big hammer to drive mine through.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
90SDKDX
Supporting Member

Post by 90SDKDX »

david wrote:It is rusted to the inner bearing sleeves. I used a brass drift and a big hammer to drive mine through.
So I'm guessing you centered the drift in the center of the bolt where the small opening is?
gregp

Post by gregp »

If you have an electric or a pneumatic impact wrench, sometimes you can break the shaft free from the bearing races by repeatedly reversing direction. Or, if you have an air chisel, you can use a piece of brass stock to drive it free. Other than that, use lots of penetrating oil, and let it sit over night. Use the biggest hammer or weight that you have to shock it free. I have worked on some very stubborn swing arm pivot bolts in my day - the worst being Honda XR's for some reason. Try laying the bike on its side, and placing supporting blocks around the swing arm pivot area to get a good hit. I have had to cut some out, and that is never fun. I do not recommend this resort. It will come out, eventually. Be patient, and persistent.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
heckler

Post by heckler »

90SDKDX
Supporting Member

Post by 90SDKDX »

Well I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that has had this problem. Some good suggestions for sure. I figure I'll be framing it this winter to paint the frame and get all the bearings replaced. Should be a fun project for the most part.
Oregon Trail

Post by Oregon Trail »

Try a BFH....