E vs. H series - Observations

Got questions? We got answers....
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I borrowed a buddy's '01 200 (BTW, it is for sale if anyone is interested!) last weekend since my son was in town on leave and wanted to ride. I rode the '01 and my son got to ride my '90. Anyways, a few things stood out to me. Nothing ground breaking here. Just some things I noticed and felt like talking about.

While the H feels narrower at the tank it felt much wider at the seat. It may be due to the aftermarket gripper seat but I don't know for sure. It was also taller than my E even though I have KX forks on mine. I couldn't touch both feet to the ground while seated like my E. The one thing that really stood out to me, though, was how much louder the KIPS was on the H. Man, it was annoyingly loud! It is a low hour bike that is very well maintained so I know it is just the bike and not some other issue. Power felt pretty good but it definitely doesn't have the low end the E does. The E just has more power everywhere and a lot more over rev. BTW, the H bike has an FMF "Rev" pipe with Q silencer and RAD valve so it is somewhat similar in power mods as to my bike.

In conclusion, the H is a nice bike and I had a blast riding it but I still like the E better. The E just fits me better and I also like the power of the E over the H (especially the low end).

:pop:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

SS109 wrote: The one thing that really stood out to me, though, was how much louder the KIPS was on the H. Man, it was annoyingly loud! :pop:
It probably sounded louder because they were working and not striped or broken. :whistle:
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

rbates9 wrote:
SS109 wrote: The one thing that really stood out to me, though, was how much louder the KIPS was on the H. Man, it was annoyingly loud! :pop:
It probably sounded louder because they were working and not striped or broken. :whistle:
Hey now, my KIPS valves are just fine, thank you very much! :mrgreen: Seriously, maybe I'll have to record a vid before I give it back so you guys can hear it. I honestly didn't think there would be really any difference in the KIPS sound but it was significantly louder.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: E vs. H series - Observations

Post by Julien D »

My observations are much the same when switching off between my 89 and my buddies 97. I've had the 97 out a few times now, mostly single track trips. I agree, the KIPS is louder on the H. I think it's just the flapper style guillotine valve vs the rotating main valve on the E. Doesn't bother me. The power and handling is pretty similar, with the E bike having a touch more power everywhere. I chalked that up to a combination of engine design, and proper jetting.