KDX fork springs????

Got questions? We got answers....
Deseret Rider
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

KDX fork springs????

Post by Deseret Rider »

Does anybody know what the stock fork springs measure: I.E.: OD, ID and length? Bonus points to you if you can also tell me the wire size and number of coils?

I'm trying to compare what you give me to what I have in my bike to see if these are the OEM springs or not? Thanks in advance----there are some really sharp guys on this forum---I read this thread often and have learned a lot.
The Duck of Deseret (Deseret was Utah's first name)
david

KDX fork springs????

Post by david »

You need to put you bike specs in your signature so we know what you are working on.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
Deseret Rider
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Re: KDX fork springs????

Post by Deseret Rider »

I have updated my profile to include the bikes I own----the one I am concerned with here would be the KDX 200 2004. Don't know why my updated profile doesn't appear-----the board says that my profile has been updated ?
gregp

KDX fork springs????

Post by gregp »

Here we go:
ID: 1.095" (tough to measure as I did not have calipers with extended jaws, and the ends may be slightly more closed than the rest)
OD: 1.445" (again, tough)
Wire: 0.175"
Coils: 33
OAL: 18.5"

All information taken from stock 2004 KDX200.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
Deseret Rider
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Deseret Rider »

Thanks Gregp---that's exactly what I wanted to know----appreciate your help. Those numbers are very close to what I am seeing here---so I am pretty sure mine are the stock OEM's-----thank you for your time and effort. Lynn
gregp

Post by gregp »

No problem, Lynn. I just happened to have my stock springs in a box in my garage. I replaced them with XR400 springs a while ago.

Your signature line is very interesting - "The Duck of Deseret (Deseret was Utah's first name)" - I did not know that.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
Deseret Rider
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Deseret Rider »

I'm not a historian and maybe fuzzy on details but I think the Mormons under Brigham Young came to this country in 1847---about a year before the area itself became part of the Untied States. They named it "Deseret'. Later, in 1896, Utah became a state---and somewhere along the line we renamed the state "Utah' probably after the Ute Indians tribes native to the area. I am the self proclaimed "Duck" of Deseret----in honor of the famed "Duck of the Desert"----the phantom Duck who staged 'unofficial' rides on the" Barstow to Vegas" and other trails which had been shut down by government officials who have their head where the sun don't shine---but whoa----don't get me started on that rant.
gregp

Post by gregp »

That is part of why I asked. I am aware of Louis McKey, and his stance on Desert racing in the late 70's to mid/late 80's. It was an interesting time, that's for sure. I used to read about his antics all the time.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200