1990 KDX 200 wont start

Got questions? We got answers....
valleyguy

1990 KDX 200 wont start

Post by valleyguy »

Ran great two days ago came home parked in the garage, came out tonight to go for a ride and it won't go. Pulled the plug and tried a new one, no luck so I took out the plug held it up against the head and kicked it over and no spark...any ideas? Took the coil off and cleaned up all the conections but still nothing. Is there a way to test the coil? or test what ever else could be the problem.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

1990 KDX 200 wont start

Post by rbates9 »

I would start cheap, check the kill switch. It could be stuck or shorted.

I believe the electrical specs will be in the manual. :wink:
valleyguy

Re: 1990 KDX 200 wont start

Post by valleyguy »

easier said than done, it has a kill switch off a street bike with lights and blinkers on it, The previous owner was going to put it on the road I guess. I have never used it anyway when I want to shut it of I just coast to a stop and it just stalls cause the clutch isn't realeasing all the way lol sad I know but I'm fixing things as I go. If I just unhook it will that take it out of the equation or does it have to be grounded out?
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

1990 KDX 200 wont start

Post by dfeckel »

If you just unhook the kill switch, then the bike should run. You'll just need to stall it to stop the engine.
David Eckel
valleyguy

Post by valleyguy »

No go still no fire, someone told me to check the volts comming from the stator (sp?)
CoronasAndChips
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by CoronasAndChips »

Did you wash it when you put it away? The first time I washed my bike I used too much water on the stator side of the engine and it had a bad wiring grommet. Pulled the cover and water came out..
Elbow grease contains no trans fat!
CoronasAndChips on XBox Live
BFBC2, BF3, COD 2,3,4, Black Ops, Red Dead Redemption, Tiger Woods 08' and 09' and Forza 2..... mostly
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

1990 KDX 200 wont start

Post by SS109 »

Since you have ruled out the switch, I would check all the wiring to make sure it is all connected tightly and dry, the grounds are clean, and there are no pinched/shorted wires. Check for water like mentioned above if you washed it after it last ran. Next you can test the stator output and the ignition coil. If all those check out, your CDI is bad.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
valleyguy

Post by valleyguy »

Nope didn't wash it, it has been pretty dry out so it was just dusty when I came back. I checked all the wiring and even pulled the coil off and cleaned up the connections on it just hoping that was it but no such luck. I have a multi meter here but I have never used one before, the most electrical I have ever done was installed a stereo system and really all I needed was a test light for power and switch power. What does the multi meter need to be set on to check the stator? Someone told me the coil coudn't be checked and to just try a new one? money grab possibly. Also I don't think the CDI is stock It has one with orange and blue sticker on it that says roost boost or something like.
valleyguy

Post by valleyguy »

haha I'm a dummy...lol problem solved running great. no comment tho
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

Forget to put the fuel on? Done that before on my Beta Rev.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

valleyguy wrote:haha I'm a dummy...lol problem solved running great. no comment tho
Come on, spill it. We have all done stupid things. :oops: And any one that tells you they haven't is lying. :roll: