Grips-special size for stock bars?

Got questions? We got answers....
edog600
Supporting Member

Post by edog600 »

What grips will work on the stock bars? Guy at the shop by me said all MX grips are the same and will work on stock KDX bars. Bought a set of Pro Taper pillow top grips and they are really tight. Actually tore a small hole in one trying to put it on. The inside grip diameter even looks smaller on the pro taper unless the old ones stretched. What style and brand fit the stock bars? Thanks
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Grips-special size for stock bars?

Post by Julien D »

The guy at the shop told you right. They're all standard, for the most part. Stock bars, aftermarket bars, and fat bars are all 7/8ths at the grip. The throttle side grip is a bit larger ID to go over the throttle tube. You'll need to use an adhesive that will act like a lubricant when putting the grips on. Spray paint or grip glue works.
edog600
Supporting Member

Re: Grips-special size for stock bars?

Post by edog600 »

OK. I has some Scott grip stuff on there. I might get a different set. The ends are kind of like hard plastic and I need to cut a hole in them to get my barkbusters on. Might look for a set like the ones that were on there. Look a bit softer. Thanks
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

On a side note about cutting out the end of grips for hand guards, I was looking for a nice clean way to cut out the ends of my last set of grips other then using a razor. I found a piece of gray PVC pipe in the barn that fit the grips a little loose. Then I found a drill bit that was bigger then the PVC. Then drill down the center of the end of the pipe. It will leave a nice sharp hole punch like end on the pipe. Once you have the "tool" made just slip it into the grips and hit it with a hammer against a piece of wood. Now you can have a nice clean hole in the end of your grip. :grin:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

rbates9 wrote:On a side note about cutting out the end of grips for hand guards, I was looking for a nice clean way to cut out the ends of my last set of grips other then using a razor. I found a piece of gray PVC pipe in the barn that fit the grips a little loose. Then I found a drill bit that was bigger then the PVC. Then drill down the center of the end of the pipe. It will leave a nice sharp hole punch like end on the pipe. Once you have the "tool" made just slip it into the grips and hit it with a hammer against a piece of wood. Now you can have a nice clean hole in the end of your grip. :grin:
Nice. I've always just put the grip on the bar, then whacked the end of the grip with a mallet till the bar end cuts it. Your tool sounds much easier.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

On the clutch side just smashing it into the bar is fine but I was concerned about F-ing up the throttle / tube on the other.