Cleaning Spooge Out of Pipe, Other Questions

Got questions? We got answers....
gopack4749

Post by gopack4749 »

I took the pipe off of my old 87 beater and I plan on cleaning the spooge out of it and painting it. I have heard to set the pipe over a fire or to plug one end and dump Drano in it. What is the best/safest way to clean it out?

Also, I am assuming that any kind of high heat header paint will be good for the pipe. Is this correct?

The silencer on it is NOT stock. God only knows what old POS two smoke the previous owner pulled it off of. Anyway I thought about getting this:

http://dirtoverstock.com/detail.aspx?ID=256 Any good?

I read this thread: http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.ph ... highlight= that dfeckel was kind enough to put up. '#1' talks about changing the stock silencer. It does not mention re-jetting. If you just do the silencer with the stock pipe will you need to re-jet?

Thanks for your help.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

For cleaning the inside of the pipe I would not recommend setting it in a fire. I think it would cause more harm then good.

I have found the easiest way for me is to flush the pipe with some type of solvent like you would find in a parts washer tank (or kerosene or diesel). Then after you get most of the crap that you can by flushing and shaking comes the fun part... Take it out side and do a quick flush with some type of spray cleaner that is flammable like most brake cleaners. Then light one end or the other with a long lighter or a small propane torch, you will get a small POOF then it should burn the remainder of the parts cleaner out of it. It might take a few doses of the brake cleaner and lighting but it will get it cleaned up pretty good. If you want to go another step you can get a piece of cable from the hardware store about 1/4"diameter and about a foot or so longer then the pipe, fray out one end a little bit then chuck it up in a drill then feed it thru the pipe. Once it makes it all the way thru then you can turn the drill on and work it back and forth. It should work like a long flexible wire brush.

Burning the pipe out from the inside first will leave mostly just carbon in the pipe so the "wire brush" wont get all gummed up with goo.
marrk_us
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by marrk_us »

Before I had my last hybrid pipe plated, they asked that I take my pipe to a machine shop that rebuilds engines and ask them to cook it for me (like they do engine blocks to clean them up). The shop charged me $10 to do it, I had to wait a couple of days until they had enough stuff ready to fire up the oven. I guess it was in the oven for an afternoon. No muss no fuss.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

The "cooking" method is the most thurough "backyard" solution. Cook it for a few hours until it stops smoking, then take a steel cable, fray the end, and run it through the pipe on your drill to remove the now crispy carbon.

I just sandblast my pipes. 200psi and coarse sand has no problem with spooge! :lol:
'00 KDX 220R
treedodger

Re: Cleaning Spooge Out of Pipe, Other Questions

Post by treedodger »

Another cheap solution is take it to a radiator shop and have it acid dipped. I've done that to a few, they come out clean as can be, but need to be treated or they will rust quickly.
gopack4749

Post by gopack4749 »

I probably did it the hillbilly way. I plugged one end and poured a tiny amount of straight gas into it. I shook it up and emptied it out. Then I lit it and let the vapor burn out. Once the vapor burnt out I got a Bernzomatic torch and heated up any remaining spooge to burn out. Then I got a frayed cable and scraped out any excess. It worked well. I painted it with some 2000 degree header paint when done.

terminatr

Post by terminatr »

How do you know when it's time to clean out the spooge?
2001 KDX220
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

terminatr wrote:How do you know when it's time to clean out the spooge?
You get board and can't find anything else to do.
Frysk

Post by Frysk »

rbates9 wrote:
terminatr wrote:How do you know when it's time to clean out the spooge?
You get bored and can't find anything else to do.
+1 :lol:
Frysk

Post by Frysk »

another nice way to clean your pipe is to use a blowtorch, just ram in up in there en and blow with oxygen.. the pipe has never been cleaner before :cool: