Power valve "matching"?

Got questions? We got answers....
gregp

Power valve "matching"?

Post by gregp »

The last time I had the cylinder off of my KDX200 (H series), I noticed that the "barrel" style power valve exhaust parts did not line up very well at all with the cylinder ports when in the open position. Everything was assemble and timed correctly. My question is whether or not it would be beneficial to grind these parts to match up better, and if anybody here has had experience with doing so?
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Power valve "matching"?

Post by scheckaet »

If you are followin the manual to put it together, beware there is an error in one of the manual, mine has the valves backward. When you put it together, it is self evidend some3hing isn t right. Try swaping the valve to see if this is you issue.
As far as I know, no one's ever done anything like grinding or "matching" the port.
cornishwrecker220

Power valve "matching"?

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

i had a similar problem with my 220...my `barrel` valve did not appear to be fully open in 1 valve (looking through the exhaust port it was the R/H valve) dispite it being timed correctly by alineing the marks etc & after several attempts i contacted jeff fredette who explained that i must secure the power valve wheel on the L/H side of the motor when tightening down the small lock nut on the end of the shaft...if i didnt when i tighten down the lock nut it can & will rotate the sub valve slightly (it does not state this in the workshop manual ! ) ...i did what he suggested & now all the valves align & work in unison.. top man :grin:
gregp

Power valve "matching"?

Post by gregp »

All good stuff here. I want to say that I am quite certain that the assembly was/is correct. The misalignment is not "terrible", but it certainly is not perfect. IIRC, the valves do not rotate just quite enough to offer a smooth transition to the machined port in the cylinder.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)