stock kickstand is beat

Got questions? We got answers....
francis

stock kickstand is beat

Post by francis »

Bought a 2001 KDX 220 on Friday and Saturday morning it was laying on the garage floor. Then as I was working on it on Saturday it nearly took me out on the right side. I had to let it fall because it caught me off guard. One bolt on the kickstand is stripped. Was thinking of a healy Coil but the kickstand has a lot of free play. So I'm thinking the trail tech and I seen a couple of set ups here and I like the one where you drill and counter sink a new hole instead of using the spring hole. Are there any negatives to this way of mounting. Any opinions would help.
Cha Ching

Re: stock kickstand is beat

Post by Cha Ching »

Same issue with my '01. I have been running without a kickstand for a few months. Trees are my friend.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

stock kickstand is beat

Post by SS109 »

Stay away from the crappy Trail Tech stand. The only two worth putting on a bike is the factory one or one from Pro Moto Billet. No, they don';t specifically make one for our bikes but it isn't that hard to make up a mounting plate.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

stock kickstand is beat

Post by scheckaet »

I disagree with ss109,
1 the stock one is complete garbage
2 I'm happy with my trail tech moded kickstand
francis

Post by francis »

I have a pro moto billet for my 05 RM 125 and did a quick test fit on the KDX and didn't like the way it hung below the skid guard. My concern is that the trail tech one doesn't seem to have much material left after drilling and countersinking. Has anyone ever broke 1 at the mounting point.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

i lost the bolts out of my kickstand and retapped the hole one size bigger in SEA (1/2-13 maybe?)
works fine and strong enough to use a towing hitch ;)
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

stock kickstand is beat

Post by rbates9 »

I also find the OEM kick stand to be the best option for the KDX. I wouldn't have any other on my bike. They seem to always work well. The people I ride with have trail tech side stands and seem to spend a lot of time looking for rocks and sticks to get the bike to stay upright.
francis

Post by francis »

Diymirage, another great tip, thanks
Can't remember where I saw the tread about the Trail Tech kickstand where he drilled a new hole instead of using the spring mount hole. Maybe it was on a KX KDX mod post?
Last edited by francis on 12:32 am Aug 30 2012, edited 1 time in total.
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

stock kickstand is beat

Post by B737driver »

I too have the trail tech and am happy with it. No more clanging around in the really rough stuff. Also doesn't make noise (extending and retracting) when landing from a jump. I prefer it over the stock one, but that's just my opinion.
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
francis

Post by francis »

Just got back from messing with the stock kickstand. I removed the leg and seen that the ears were bent and it looked like a Y. So I hammered them back parallel with a spacer in between on a steel Dolly. Reinstalled, no more slop but it seems that the leg stop on the left of the bracket is way too far left and let's the leg go far past vertical. The bike stands with a perfect tilt with the kickstand vertical, it's just that the leg isnt resting against the backstop. I think it will be okay after I fix the striped holes in the swing arm. I think to help the kickstand last I shouldn't get on and off the motorcycle with the kickstand down and to use with caution. I don't plan on upgrading if this one will work. Going to have to see how it does on the trail.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

stock kickstand is beat

Post by SS109 »

scheckaet wrote:I disagree with ss109,
1 the stock one is complete garbage
2 I'm happy with my trail tech moded kickstand
1 Oh, yeah, I forgot. The H series stands stuck for some reason. Another reason to own an E! :mrgreen:
2 The Trail Tech seems too weak IMO and seems to get very mixed reviews. Some, like you, love them. Others, not so much.
'11 GasGas EC250R
francis

Post by francis »

Thanks B737driver,
I over bend the ears on the legs slightly and now there's pressure and friction against the bracket. Not only spring tension holding it up. I hope this well help when going over big rocks and landing from jumps. I didn't plan it that way but that's just the way it happened. I didn't get the manual yet so I'm wondering if there's a second lock nut that goes on the bolt that goes through the leg because the bolt sticks past the back 3/4" instead of a 1/4".
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

stock kickstand is beat

Post by scheckaet »

Sorry i thought we were talking about the H serie.
I was worried too with the trail tech, it looks so weak and you do have to mod it a bit to make it work properly (just a matter of finding the correct spacers and washer to make it tight). :wink:
You also have to cut a bit of it since it's too long.
I don't use it as a "kick" stand (stand on the bike to kick start it) since it's not a 4 stroke where you really have to kick HARD. Maybe that's why I don't have any complains about it. :hmm:

I personally think the stocker on the H is not only garbage but is dangerous.
How many times did my riding friend would tell me the stand was half way down after a jump...(a small jump at that) That would be very very bad if i landed with the kick stand on...

I got my bike new and was taking good care of it (like shimming it to reduce the slop and play). But after 2 years it was gone, didn't matter how many shims i would had or how big the bolts were, once you have slop in it it will get worse and worse; the metal is far too soft IMHO.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

stock kickstand is beat

Post by rbates9 »

SS109 wrote:1 Oh, yeah, I forgot. The H series stands stuck for some reason. Another reason to own an E! :mrgreen:

The E and the H have the same stand.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

stock kickstand is beat

Post by Slick_Nick »

The problem with the stand is that it's mounted on the Swingarm. It's subject to about 10x the abuse that it would be were it mounted to the frame (Yamaha WR, new KLX450, etc) removing it from the Swingarm and mounting it to the frame itself (a la Trailtech) is the only "true" solution.
'00 KDX 220R
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

stock kickstand is beat

Post by SS109 »

rbates9 wrote:
SS109 wrote:1 Oh, yeah, I forgot. The H series stands stuck for some reason. Another reason to own an E! :mrgreen:

Now that just can't be now can it? :wink: Seriously, maybe they bolt on in the same spot and everything but maybe the specs changed on them. Softer metal, weaker spring, etc. because I know my E series kickstand hasn't exhibited not a single sign of the problems everyone else talks about on the H series and my bike was beat when I got it.
'11 GasGas EC250R
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

stock kickstand is beat

Post by rbates9 »

SS109 wrote:
rbates9 wrote:

Now that just can't be now can it? :wink: Seriously, maybe they bolt on in the same spot and everything but maybe the specs changed on them. Softer metal, weaker spring, etc. because I know my E series kickstand hasn't exhibited not a single sign of the problems everyone else talks about on the H series and my bike was beat when I got it.
I don't get it myself but a lot of people hate them. I have a H and like the stock stand. On occasion i have to recalibrate it but that is from going down in rocks or dragging the left side of the bike along something so it is to be expected. To each their own. :partyman:
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

Matt (the machinist) busted his trail tech stand. Cant remember how, but after looking at the mount by the lefthand peg I was not uber impressed. Its better than nothing though, im so tired of finding trees.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

stock kickstand is beat

Post by SS109 »

I rode an '01 200 last weekend. Guess what? The stand has the typical H series suck to it! :mrgreen: Actually, it is kind wobbly compared to my E series but I still didn't encounter any of the problems people seem to say they have with them.
'11 GasGas EC250R
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

stock kickstand is beat

Post by rbates9 »

SS109 wrote:I rode an '01 200 last weekend. Guess what? The stand has the typical H series suck to it! :mrgreen: Actually, it is kind wobbly compared to my E series but I still didn't encounter any of the problems people seem to say they have with them.

I own a 2000 200 and have to say that it is not the "typical suck". I think that people get a little too nervous about something that is a non issue. If the stock stand happens to fall down after a jump then I have to say that it is poor maintenance. People expect the stand and spring to last the life of the bike. Well guess what, when you have an older bike that everything else on it has been replaced but the kick stand spring and the pivot has never seen any maintenance you will have problems. Lets see how great the aftermarket stands hold up after years of neglect. I bet they turn out to be not any better. Also the stand on the swing arm is another layer of defence from the rocks. Look at how beat up the stand looks and just think of what the swing arm would look like if it wasn't there.