stock kickstand is beat

Got questions? We got answers....
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

stock kickstand is beat

Post by SS109 »

rbates9 wrote:
SS109 wrote:I rode an '01 200 last weekend. Guess what? The stand has the typical H series suck to it! :mrgreen: Actually, it is kind wobbly compared to my E series but I still didn't encounter any of the problems people seem to say they have with them.

I own a 2000 200 and have to say that it is not the "typical suck". I think that people get a little too nervous about something that is a non issue. If the stock stand happens to fall down after a jump then I have to say that it is poor maintenance. People expect the stand and spring to last the life of the bike. Well guess what, when you have an older bike that everything else on it has been replaced but the kick stand spring and the pivot has never seen any maintenance you will have problems. Lets see how great the aftermarket stands hold up after years of neglect. I bet they turn out to be not any better. Also the stand on the swing arm is another layer of defence from the rocks. Look at how beat up the stand looks and just think of what the swing arm would look like if it wasn't there.
Oh, I agree! The stock stands work just fine. I am a firm believer in actually maintaining the kickstand just like any other part of the bike. Regular cleaning and lubing has kept mine functioning perfectly. Anyways, I just had to talk some E vs. H series smack! :mrgreen:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

stock kickstand is beat

Post by rbates9 »

I understand. You thought for once the the E had something over the H. Sorry it didn't work out for you. :lol:
matt.sliger
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

stock kickstand is beat

Post by matt.sliger »

Just wanted to see what you decided to do. I had a similar problem. The person I bought my kdx from bent the oem kickstand. Unfortunately, the bike leans at a scary angle when on the stand. I was looking at options and found similar feedback as described in this thread. The stock stand seems to be some type of two piece stand with the lower leg fitting inside the upper leg (at least on my 06). Where the two pieces meet together is where my stand is bent. I decided to look after market and the trail tech stand seemed to be the only option. However, I personally didn't like how it hung below the peg and possibly the frame. Probably not a big deal for me but like I said it bugged me. I ended up finding a pro moto stand used for $ cheap. Planning on having it machined down at work and came across this thread. Seems as though people have made brackets or adapter plates, but I am curious to know if anyone has actually machined down the part for a correct fit. If so, I would like to see some photos...

In the photo I only put in the bottom bolt.

Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

stock kickstand is beat

Post by Slick_Nick »

Is that PMB stand for the KX-F?
'00 KDX 220R
matt.sliger
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

stock kickstand is beat

Post by matt.sliger »

Im not sure if it fits kx-f but it came off of a kx 125 and says "kx 1250" on the back. It is PMB.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

stock kickstand is beat

Post by canyncarvr »

Wow. That was fun.

A long and boring missive (with incredibly valuable if not mesmerizing data within) gone 'cuz I overlasted the posting timer.

Bummer, dood.

That gets you the very short version:

The model referred to by the OP is a KDX220R-A7. It's not an 'E'. It's not an 'H'.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

stock kickstand is beat

Post by rbates9 »

canyncarvr wrote:Wow. That was fun.

A long and boring missive (with incredibly valuable if not mesmerizing data within) gone 'cuz I overlasted the posting timer.

Bummer, dood.

The model referred to by the OP is a KDX220R-A7. It's not an 'E'. It's not an 'H'.

What the F#(* are you talking about?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

stock kickstand is beat

Post by SS109 »

rbates9 wrote:
canyncarvr wrote:Wow. That was fun.

Bummer, dood.

What the F#(* are you talking about?
I second that! WTH?
'11 GasGas EC250R
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: stock kickstand is beat

Post by canyncarvr »

It's not that hard, folks. :wink:

There was a reference to a 220 and kickstands. There was talk of 'E' series and 'H' series kickstands being the same and 'H' series kickstands being awful. The comment was made, 'The stock one is complete garbage,' 'H' series suck,' and 'I thought we were talking about the 'H' series...'

NOWHERE does ANYone say what the OP was referring to: An 'A-7'. Not an 'H'...not an 'E'.

Oh...and besides that, the 'H' (edit) and 'E' models do not have 'the same' kickstand. The part numbers are different, the cost is different, and they don't look the same. :doh:

'92 'E' 34024 34024-1263 STAND-SIDE

'01 200 'H' 34024 34024-1279 STAND-SIDE

The 'A' and 'H' models are the same...but that wasn't said anywhere by anybody.

That, folks, is what the hell AND f;8ck I am talking about.

Consider the source

SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

stock kickstand is beat

Post by SS109 »

See, I knew the E and H series stands were different! :mrgreen:

I did not know that the 220's were considered a separate series but after looking at the Ron Ayers parts fiche I can see that it is. Irrelevant for the most part since everything is the same as the H except for the 220 engine specific items and stickers! BTW, OP's is an A8, not an A7, according to the parts fiche! :kick: Sorry, I had to! :mrgreen:
'11 GasGas EC250R
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

stock kickstand is beat

Post by canyncarvr »

SS109 wrote: BTW, OP's is an A8, not an A7, according to the parts fiche! :kick: Sorry, I had to! :mrgreen:
Yup. You are correct! Kudos to your looking! :lol:

Yes..the distinction between 'H' or 'A' is largely irrelevant. Considering that it does matter sometimes, why not pay attention to the detail in the first place?

On another thread a question was asked about swapping a 220 top-end onto a 200 motor (yes, I misuse the word 'motor' 'cuz I simply prefer it to using the correct word, 'engine'..mostly). The general response was, 'Yes. You can!'

Someone wisely pointed out that the KIPS main valve was different between the two. Now...maybe it was assumed that 'top-end' (cylinder..whatever the description was) included the KIPS that came with it.

Maybe not.

FAR better to make the point in a pointed fashion as opposed to letting it slide by..which is NOT what's going to happen to a 200 piston in a 220 cylinder with a 200 main valve.

Anyway...I'm quite sure from looking at Mr. Wibbens' kickstand (his bike an 'E') that it is NOT the same as was my OEM (an 'H') kickstand. The brackets are the same..the spring is the same, iirc, the bolt/nut are not. IF you're going to spend $60 on an OEM kickstand, might as well get the right one!
I did not know that the 220's were considered a separate series....
...and now you do. THAT was the point of bringing up the whole thing. Well...pretty much.

Now...on what's really impohtent: The Department of Forestry has closed Fire Season. The woods are now 'Open'. It's time to go riding!

Let's go!!

Consider the source

rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

stock kickstand is beat

Post by rbates9 »

canyncarvr wrote:
SS109 wrote: BTW, OP's is an A8, not an A7, according to the parts fiche! :kick: Sorry, I had to! :mrgreen:
Yup. You are correct! Kudos to your looking! :lol:

Yes..the distinction between 'H' or 'A' is largely irrelevant. Considering that it does matter sometimes, why not pay attention to the detail in the first place?

On another thread a question was asked about swapping a 220 top-end onto a 200 motor (yes, I misuse the word 'motor' 'cuz I simply prefer it to using the correct word, 'engine'..mostly). The general response was, 'Yes. You can!'

Someone wisely pointed out that the KIPS main valve was different between the two. Now...maybe it was assumed that 'top-end' (cylinder..whatever the description was) included the KIPS that came with it.

Maybe not.

FAR better to make the point in a pointed fashion as opposed to letting it slide by..which is NOT what's going to happen to a 200 piston in a 220 cylinder with a 200 main valve.

Anyway...I'm quite sure from looking at Mr. Wibbens' kickstand (his bike an 'E') that it is NOT the same as was my OEM (an 'H') kickstand. The brackets are the same..the spring is the same, iirc, the bolt/nut are not. IF you're going to spend $60 on an OEM kickstand, might as well get the right one!
I did not know that the 220's were considered a separate series....
...and now you do. THAT was the point of bringing up the whole thing. Well...pretty much.

Now...on what's really impohtent: The Department of Forestry has closed Fire Season. The woods are now 'Open'. It's time to go riding!

Let's go!!

You have by far WAY too much time on your hands. I suppose we will need to get an "A" series 220 liquid cooled section going now for all of the specific questions that only pertain to them. :roll:
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

stock kickstand is beat

Post by B737driver »

Update to my previous post about liking the trail tech : I don't like it anymore! At first it was rigid and seemed to do the trick. However, after a few rides it started to feel weak where the lower mounting bolt connects at the lower chain roller.

Last time out the lower chain roller bracket snapped at the frame. I now have the kickstand zip tied in the up position to keep the chain roller in place.

Anyone have any experience with welding the roller mount back in place. It's two very thin pieces that mount to the frame and I'm not sure if that weld is possible.

Wish I wouldn't have sold my stock kicker. :doh:
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

Post by bcdonyo »

I've had no issues with swing arm mounted stands (OLD Husky, Yamaha WR smoke, and KDX). I have had several bikes with frame mounted stands that flop around.
JoKDX220r
Gold Member
Gold Member

stock kickstand is beat

Post by JoKDX220r »

B737driver wrote:Update to my previous post about liking the trail tech : I don't like it anymore! At first it was rigid and seemed to do the trick. However, after a few rides it started to feel weak where the lower mounting bolt connects at the lower chain roller.

Last time out the lower chain roller bracket snapped at the frame. I now have the kickstand zip tied in the up position to keep the chain roller in place.

Anyone have any experience with welding the roller mount back in place. It's two very thin pieces that mount to the frame and I'm not sure if that weld is possible.

Wish I wouldn't have sold my stock kicker. :doh:
I had the same issue with the trail tech.. I welded the roller bracket without any problem the first time so I gave the trailtech another try but it broke again so, I'm back with the stock.. ( rewelded the roller bracket..)
The lower roller bracket it's not design to support that much weight/stress... :?
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

stock kickstand is beat

Post by B737driver »

The lower roller bracket it's not design to support that much weight/stress...

Agree 100%. Did you weld the old bracket back in place or fabricate a new one? I considered fabricating a stronger bracket, but the trail tech still hangs too low and will take a beating over time.
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
JoKDX220r
Gold Member
Gold Member

stock kickstand is beat

Post by JoKDX220r »

I just put the old one back in place but I still think is possible to add something to the frame to use the 3rd hole of the stand's bracket.. I didn't had lot of time to spend on that problem so I switched back to the stock one.
jeeptech1

Post by jeeptech1 »

I did this http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=14534. much stouter than the trail tech, doesn't hang lower than the frame and it holds the bike up no matter what terrain.