Newbie New Bike Great Cold Start, No Warm

Got questions? We got answers....
cornishwrecker220

Newbie New Bike Great Cold Start, No Warm

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

its a 2 stroke & a trail bike/competition bike at that & no matter how good the jetting is it will hate being ridden on the road for any length of time with a constant throttle...no 2 days performance is ever the same..1 day great the next maybe not so, its just the way they are...if you dont want to be tinkering & fetting from time to time then yep i`d buy a 4 stroke (they ride the same day in day out & are a little better on the road) the kdx is an excellent little bike for both novices & experts & has plenty of power which will make you smile everytime you ride it...get it running right & take it out on the trails where its ment to be just dont ride it on the road as a commuter.
Joey-D

Re: Newbie New Bike Great Cold Start, No Warm

Post by Joey-D »

I am trying to find jets locally right now. Is the PWK35 a carb that was run on many brands of bikes or just Kawasaki? Meaning, can I run up the street to the Honda Motorsports and buy jets for this bike?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

cornishwrecker220 wrote:its a 2 stroke & a trail bike/competition bike at that & no matter how good the jetting is it will hate being ridden on the road for any length of time with a constant throttle...no 2 days performance is ever the same..1 day great the next maybe not so, its just the way they are...if you dont want to be tinkering & fetting from time to time then yep i`d buy a 4 stroke (they ride the same day in day out & are a little better on the road) the kdx is an excellent little bike for both novices & experts & has plenty of power which will make you smile everytime you ride it...get it running right & take it out on the trails where its ment to be just dont ride it on the road as a commuter.
I have to disagree. Just about any 2 stroke is an absolute blast to run around town on if you have the ability to do so.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Joey-D wrote:I am trying to find jets locally right now. Is the PWK35 a carb that was run on many brands of bikes or just Kawasaki? Meaning, can I run up the street to the Honda Motorsports and buy jets for this bike?
Any Keihin jets will work. Any bike shop should have them. They fit a lot of carbs on many different bikes from many different years.
Joey-D

Post by Joey-D »

I got my jets. Either tonight or tomorrow I'll get the carb back in and take her for a ride.
Joey-D

Post by Joey-D »

Put the bike back together this morning. 152 main and 40 pilot. Air screw 1.25 turns out it high reved. Brand new plug. Bike almost started on first kick, definitely started on the second. That was before setting the idle and air screw. Got her dialed in. She ran like a dream. Great power across the board. No bogging or runaways. Rode 10 miles between street, highway speeds, and a small trail. Got pulled over (I have a drive-away plate, which is for mechanics to put on vehicles the are working on that aren't theirs, only problem is it comes in one size, car plate, and looks really out of place on a bike, didn't get in any trouble). Spent about 10 minutes with the cop. Bike started halfway through the first kick. Got home, pulled the spark plug, and it looks wet and gassy. Do I need to lean it out more? That seems pretty extreme considering stock was 158 - 48.

Joey-D

Post by Joey-D »

Too be fair, about 1 gallon of the fuel in the tank is 40:1, 1/2 a gallon was in the tank when I bought the bike, and 1/2 gallon was a concoction thrown together at my buddy's house when I thought I ran out of fuel. Therefore the fuel ratio could be oily if you think that is the cause.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

I'm sure its fine now. It's hard to read a plug that has had mixed use....esp street cruising where it was likely doing some '4-cycling.' To clean up the ENTIRE fuel curve you start getting into slide cutting, different needles, etc. Read up here on needles as there are some nice 'drop-ins' that work well with stock bike/carb. Never hurts to carry a spare plug/portable wrench around (taped inside frame).
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Joey-D

Post by Joey-D »

So far so good. Do you think I should lean it more based on the plug? I am afraid the lack of hard starts is due to a new plug and not a corrected jetting. Its just that it is gassy/oily at the base of the threads.