Newbie New Bike Great Cold Start, No Warm

Got questions? We got answers....
Joey-D

Post by Joey-D »

Just bought my first dirt bike. Always and still do own harleys and crotch rockets. Motorcycles are no stranger to me, but 2 strokes are.

Bike: 2002 KDX 200

Purchased bike used. Look like it had sat for weeks before we got there. Bike started on second kick. Rode it around his property and while it the power was finicky, it ran great. Brought it home, started on first kick after a 5 hr drive home. Putted around the neighborhood and about 1.75 miles later, stopped at a stop sign and it idled down and died. Wouldn't kick back over. Pushed it to a buddy's house. Thought it was out of fuel as I didn't see much in the tank and the petcock was on reserve. Filled her up with mix. Still wouldn't kick over. I then pulled the plug, it was wet and black. Cleaned it and the bike started right up. Rode 3/4 of a mile home and put her away. Read all about her last night. Verified it was the correct NGK BR8ES plug gapped to .30. Made sure the fuel mix wasn't too oily. Cleaned the air filter. Got her out today. She started on the first kick. Rode 3 miles on her. Rode her harder, as what I read said putting around would foul the plug. At the beginning of every gear it would take off like it wanted to do a wheelie. I would let off and she would bog and have a very flat throttle. So then I would down shift thinking she wanted to run at higher RPMs. Still a very flat throttle, wouldn't power up or speed up. Got to a buddy's house and when I slowed to a stop, she idled down and died. Hung out for about a half hour and she wouldn't start. Pulled the plug, it was wet, cleaned her a few times and still no start. First couple kicks, she should like she wanted to, but after about the 5th kick, it was dead, not even a pop. Tried starting fluid, nothing. Put her in the bed of a truck and bought her home. Been reading about her for hours, just thought I would throw this out there incase someone is like, well duh, its the ......

I think its grossly mis tuned. I bought the bike to make street legal so I could ride it between trips to the country to trail ride. I am a beginner. Did I buy the wrong bike?
Joey-D

Re: Newbie New Bike Great Cold Start, No Warm

Post by Joey-D »

Already read it and printed it out to keep a hard copy. Thanks. But I was hoping someone would point out something from their experience.
Joey-D

Post by Joey-D »

No Spooge coming out of the muffler when I pulled the plug. Pulled the Carb. Float and needle look good. 160 Main Jet and 48 Slow Jet. The Air Adjusting Screw was 5.5 turns out from bottom. The needle clip was in the middle. Going to read up on the KIPS now.
kdxtreme
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by kdxtreme »

Air screw should be no more than 2.5 turns out.
Did I say riding?
Joey-D

Post by Joey-D »

I had read that in the KDX for Newbies section. Obviously is this in an issue, but one that would cause the problems I stated above? What are stock jet sizes?
Joey-D

Post by Joey-D »

Stock is 158 main 48 slow
Joey-D

Post by Joey-D »

Nevermind, my mistake. The idle screw was 5.5 out and the air screw was 1.5 turns out.
kdxtreme
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by kdxtreme »

my setup 2004 200 152 40 1173 needle 3rd position air screw 1.5 to 2 turns out
Did I say riding?
kdxtreme
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by kdxtreme »

At 0-2500 ft
Did I say riding?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Yeah, the pig rich factory jets are 158/48. That jetting is probably fouling plugs for you. Try something reasonable, like 155/45, that should get you on the trails. You'll need to follow the jetting sticky to properly jet it, but that combo is generally safe if all else is in good repair.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Stock is 160 main and 48 pilot. Average starting point is 155 M and 45 pilot for most people but you will need to determine that. From the sounds of it you have a dirty carb. These bikes will run ok at a wide range of poor jetting.

I would pull the carb and clean it. Every passage and port. Don't soak the carb in any kind of cleaner because it could hurt the jet block gasket. It also wouldn't hurt to start with new jets to make sure they are clean and not worn.

What is your elevation and average temp? Any mods to the bike?
Joey-D

Post by Joey-D »

I live in st. Louis at 465 feet. The bike appears to be stock driveline wise. I pulled the carb and inspected it and am going to clean and rejet. As a beginner to dirt bike and trail riding, i plan on taking it easy. From what I read, running leaner will help out my riding style. I plan on getting new jets and plug and replacing those. I need to inspect my reed also. I will do a compression test tomorrow, but my biggest concern is that she won't start warm. Is it because I already fouled the plug by then or is the top end worn and not enough compression at that point? I want a reliable bike and I don't want my right leg to be ten times bigger than my left. Any secrets to started a warm motor or how to unflood her?
Last edited by Joey-D on 08:15 am Aug 28 2012, edited 1 time in total.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

You'll get it.

I'd say your jetting is a bit rich and your plug is fouling. The 155 main and 45 pilot is a good start.

The starting while warm should not be a problem at all. The fact that it starts happily cold points to rich jetting as well. If it doesn't start right up warm give it two or three kicks at full throttle to get some air in there.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Joey-D

Post by Joey-D »

Should the fuel be on or off if I have to do full throttle kicks? I'm going to get a new plug and jets today. Considering my riding style and my elevation, I think Im going to start very lean at 152-40 like kdxtreme.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Should the fuel be on or off if I have to do full throttle kicks?

The fuel petcock should be on. No choke, though, unless stone cold.
'08 KTM200xc
KX100 for the boy
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

It may have been fouling for a while too....Once it needs cleaned, it will foul again soon....Just put a new one in for future reference....you can't really get them clean enough to be reliable again...Esp with $2 worth of effort. Jetting will clean it up. Also make sure air filter is clean....No air=rich also.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Joey-D

Post by Joey-D »

Even if I get her dialed in, will stop and go traffic and speed limits be a constant battle with fouling plugs? I don't know 2 strokes and don't wanna fight her because I don't ride her like she wants to be riden. If I plan on beginner trail ride her and city ride her, would I be better off selling her and buying a 4 stroke?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I have gone over 3 years on a plug with no problems.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Even if I get her dialed in, will stop and go traffic and speed limits be a constant battle with fouling plugs?
No.
Even jetted pretty close it won't foul plugs.
'08 KTM200xc
KX100 for the boy