petcock filters

Got questions? We got answers....
francis

petcock filters

Post by francis »

Bought a 2001 KDX 220 yesterday that wasn't running from sitting and old gas. I cleaned the carb and drained tank. After flushing the tank I checked inside with a flashlight and could see gunk on the petcocks intakes. So Removed the petcock and cleaned it with a 1" brush distroying the filters. Are replacements available. Also, the gas is coming out the overflow. So removed Carb again and bent the float tab quite a bit more with no success. The rubber tip on the float valve looks perfect and the plunger on top seems to spring back fine. Is it possible for the float value to be bad or is it a bad seating surface. Or are there other possibilities.
Thrahl

petcock filters

Post by Thrahl »

francis wrote:Bought a 2001 KDX 220 yesterday that wasn't running from sitting and old gas. I cleaned the carb and drained tank. After flushing the tank I checked inside with a flashlight and could see gunk on the petcocks intakes. So Removed the petcock and cleaned it with a 1" brush distroying the filters. Are replacements available. Also, the gas is coming out the overflow. So removed Carb again and bent the float tab quite a bit more with no success. The rubber tip on the float valve looks perfect and the plunger on top seems to spring back fine. Is it possible for the float value to be bad or is it a bad seating surface. Or are there other possibilities.
About the filter, just get an aftermarket inline filter. You should be able to pick one up for a couple bucks. Also you will be able to see if it gets clogged or dirty.

For the float, don't just bend it randomly. Measure your float height and set it to the specs recommended in your manual. For my E series it is 16 +-1mm.

To check if you are getting a good seal on the float needle, blow through the gas inlet on the carb with the carb upright, air should flow freely. Now turn the carb upside down and try it again, you shouldn't be able to blow any air through. If you can blow air through then you are not getting a proper seal and your carbs will probably overflow.
francis

petcock filters

Post by francis »

Thanks, going to take apart and try again today. Wish I could keep the stock petcock filters.there removable so thought I could just replace them. I'm Not crazy about the inline filter idea but if thats the only solution other than changing the complete petcock I guess I don't have much choice. Still wondering if new stock petcock filters are available.
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: petcock filters

Post by kawagumby »

I too use an inline filter. But you can check with ronayers.com and see if they list the OEM stock filters seperately from the petcock...if not, you probably won't find them anywhere.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
francis

Post by francis »

I checked ronayers website, looks hard to find so I'll call Monday. Thanks for replying. I got a feeling that these aren't going to be available but if someone knows I'd like to know.
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

I found some of the filters that are very similar to the one on the petcock at autozone
francis

Post by francis »

Oh ya, stupid question. Why is the petcock fuel outlet smaller than the carburetor intake. I like to remove fuel line from carb and drain carburetor bowl for storage. Must be more difficult with inline filter because such a short line and stretching the smaller hose over the bigger carb intake. Heading out to the garage to try and fix the overflow. I think the seating surface might not be perfect even though I put a Q tip on the end of a drill and spun it in the float valve seat area. Because the first time I reassembled the carb it leaked then stoped leaking. So I started it sense it's new to me and I never seen it run. Started second kick and ran great. Did 2 miles and when I return and parked it was leaking gas again. Maybe tank debris? Disassembled and bent float tab, still leaking so I'm going out to the garage now.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

petcock filters

Post by rbates9 »

Is the gas leak when the bike is on the kick stand and not when it is up right, or running? If the overflow is only leaking on the side stand you may not ever get it to stop. Just the nature of some of them. About a third of the time I stop with mine it runs a bit from the over flow.
francis

Post by francis »

Really kdxrider, did you try it because I seen some on ebay for Harleys triumphs and other bikes but not sure they would work. Mine seam microscopicly different. The filter for the reserve goes in a hole and the one for fuel on goes on a pipe. I tried the filter that goes on the pipe in the reserve hole but it didn't fit. The o/d seem slightly bigger. Could be the varnish buildup that made it bigger. I didn't mess around with it too much. They were both ruined. I Was thinking I could zip tie some type of filter on the tube but I don't know what to do for the reserve hole.
francis

Post by francis »

Gas is pouring like Niagara rbates9.
francis

Post by francis »

10 minutes ago I purchased kawasaki H1/H2 petcock filter screens from Mid Atlantic motorcycle for 20 bucks. They look identical so I'm going to take the chance. I'll finish this tread after installing or installing failure.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

petcock filters

Post by rbates9 »

A complete new petcock is about $40.
francis

Post by francis »

The petcock is not broke, so if the filters fit I'll save 20 dollars. If not I'll probably buy a new petcock because I'm not too crazy about the inline fuel filter idea. Not That its a bad idea. It's just the way I am. I think there's something wrong with me. I'm not loaded but sometimes I spend frivolously.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

petcock filters

Post by scheckaet »

inline filter works. i've used one the past 6-7 years. you are not starving your carb if that's what you're afraid of...
francis

Post by francis »

Scheckaet,
Do you run both the petcock filters and the inline filter.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

petcock filters

Post by scheckaet »

yup. you don't have to. one is enough
francis

Post by francis »

Thanks Scheckaet,
I Didn't get out into the garage yesterday but I did end up purchasing a bunch of parts online.
Shop manual, and supplement $27/$15 shipped
Twin air, air filter $29 shipped
brp hand guard inserts $20
Stock Silencer $50 shipped
H/1-h/2 petcock filters shipped
I'm going to wait until the filters are in before messing around because the second time I took the carb apart I found air filter granules and black oily sludge in bottom of the bowl I think from the air filter, also with no inline filter I think I might be taking in varnish chips because when the tank was empty I check inside with a flashlight and seen a layer of varnish 1 third of the way down to the bottom. So I think I'm taking s### from both ends. I'm going to wait till the filters are in before messin around again. Oh and what's this I hear about transmission fluid in the gearbox because on my 2 mile little ride (street) the clutch slip on top a little. Figured I'd change the oil. Do I use that red ATF transmission oil. Never did before on any other bikes I don't think. My K x 250 manual recommends 10w 30 or 10w 40. Can't wait to see what you guys and the new manual say.
It took me this long to write this since the last post

/1-h/2 petcock filters $20 shipped
francis

Post by francis »

I'm On the east coast So I think that means almost 1 hour. Man I'm not that good at this yet.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

petcock filters

Post by rbates9 »

I don't think you are getting anything from the air intake side into the float bowl. Pretty much anything in there would be from the gas tank.

As for the transmission oil type F ATF of just about any brand works very well. The book will call for 10W30 or something close to that. As far as oil, you will need to do some trial and error to find what works best for you. It took me many different quarts of oil to settle on type F ATF for my bike.
francis

Post by francis »

I Went out to the garage to check what kind of oil I had and it was delco atf dextron 3, but the first thing I saw was huge puddle of gas, seems my fat c*** needs a rebuild kit. I think my phone means petcock. I think I'm in the market for rebuild kit. I think I better wait to see if those filters fit. Now my house smells like gas cause its connected. I think I'm going to bring the dirt bike in the house and started it because I like the smell of 2 stroke smoke instead of gas.