Tire Suggestions?

Got questions? We got answers....
Bstreet2307

Tire Suggestions?

Post by Bstreet2307 »

So I am stuck when it comes to tires! I don't know what tires are the best for the money and the type of riding that I do. Last weekend I went trail riding at this new off road trails and I spent most of my time sideways or doing nothing but spinning. My tires are pretty much shot so I know it's time for new ones and was wondering what you guys think? I mostly ride trails with rocks and mud and alot of fast field riding. So what do you guys think?
Cha Ching

Re: Tire Suggestions?

Post by Cha Ching »

IMO you cant go wrong with Bridgestone 403/404 combo. They are very versatile, they handle most terrain well. I recently replaced the rear with a Maxxis IT, and i like it as well. Maxxis was expensive ($80) , but readily available.
Bstreet2307

Tire Suggestions?

Post by Bstreet2307 »

I have been looking at the maxxis it's on rocky mountain at I have been very interested cause they look pretty good and they was going for $67
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Tire Suggestions?

Post by rbates9 »

I will add my vote for the Maxis IT on the rear, and I have had good results with a Michelin M12 on the front. Another thing to consider for a rear would be a trials tire. Great and then some on rocks, not too bad in some mud and useable at speed in the fields once you get use to it. They cost more but will last a lot longer.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Tire Suggestions?

Post by SS109 »

Tires are so subjective it does really no good to suggest anything. What I love you might absolutely hate and vice versa. However, I will tell you what I use and you can make up your own mind.

Terrain I ride - AZ Sonoran desert - hard pack, silt, sand, and lots of freakin rocks!

Currently I run a Maxxis SI (SI = Soft/Intermediate) in front. It works great IMO on just about everything and is really good in soft dirt and sand. I also do a lot of hard pack riding and it doesn't chunk or lose knobs. It wears really well and the traction doesn't drop off a cliff like some tires do after a few rides and stays fairly consistent. It is the front tire I judge all others by. Next tire change I plan to try the Pirelli Scorpion XCMS.

I run a Maxxis IT (Intermediate) in the rear. It isn't the greatest rear but it works decently just about anywhere and lasts a really long time. I'm so use to it that I don't even think about it's shortcoming anymore. Next I plan to try a Pirelli MT43.

Motoz Enduro IT's, I absolutely freakin hated them. They seems to suck everywhere except on a properly prepped and wet MX track. They chunked and tossed knobs way too quick. The front had OK traction for the first 5 or so rides and then just completely went away. The rear never was any good for actual off road riding. Worst thing, I would be riding along and for no reason I would just take a dirt nap. Every time it happened I tried to figure out why and I never could come to any logical reason for it. Nothing had changed on the bike except for the tires. I'll never buy another set!

Bridgestone 404's. They just didn't seem to work well for the terrain I ride but others seem to have good luck with them. Typical tire in that they wear about like any other normal tire and once the edges are worn off the knobs traction drops pretty fast.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
cornishwrecker220

Tire Suggestions?

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

i`ve always run michelin comp 3 & 4 enduro tyres , the carcass is very strong which allows you to run a low tyre pressure without the risk of punctures or denting your rim, the knobbly spread is excellent giving you plenty of grip in a mixture of terrain,added bonus is they are also `road legal`.. if they are good enough for the world enduro guys then they are good enough for anyone , price wise a bit more expensive than cheaper brands but you get what you pay for.
Bstreet2307

Post by Bstreet2307 »

More than likely I will be going with the Maxxis IT's for the price they seem pretty good and for the riding that I do they seem perfect. I like the price and plus along with the tires Im going to be buying a kickstand since the one I had broke off:( since I have a couple ppl vewing this topic any advice on a place to get a cheap kickstand but not to cheap that it breaks when I kick it lol.
Bstreet2307

Post by Bstreet2307 »

Oh and thanks for all the good info.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

i had a enduro road legal (cant remember the brand) on the rear for a while but it was crap in loose sand
then i bought a project bike that had a michelin knobby on the back
i was going to hit the trails so i swapped the michelin on...2 months and i havent looked back
it handles roads just as good as the enduro and trails WAY better
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
Bstreet2307

Post by Bstreet2307 »

Yea where I ride it would be pretty hard to use a enduro tire lol thanks for the input
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Bstreet2307 wrote:Yea where I ride it would be pretty hard to use a enduro tire lol thanks for the input
The KDX seems to do best in areas where an enduro type tire would also be best. From your description in the original post, I would have thought so. Want to describe the riding area in more detail? More wide open and straight than hilly and windy? More rocks than dirt?

I'd say everyone should try a trials tire on the rear at least once. They can be quite versatile by varying pressure.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Julien D wrote:
Bstreet2307 wrote:Yea where I ride it would be pretty hard to use a enduro tire lol thanks for the input
The KDX seems to do best in areas where an enduro type tire would also be best. From your description in the original post, I would have thought so. Want to describe the riding area in more detail? More wide open and straight than hilly and windy? More rocks than dirt?

I'd say everyone should try a trials tire on the rear at least once. They can be quite versatile by varying pressure.

I think they are confusing a dual sport tire for an enduro type tire.

And yes the trials tire is one of those things that you just can't belive would work until you try one. And don't be cheap about buying one, or you probably will hate it.
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by zomby woof »

I LOL'd :lol:
Ontario, Canada
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

Tire Suggestions?

Post by bcdonyo »

Techical desert, hardpack sand and tight rocky trails. Metzler unicross front, MT43 rear. No complaints and DOT legal.
gwynfryn

Post by gwynfryn »

Shinko 540 front michelin s12 rear. Mud and sand.
Bstreet2307

Tire Suggestions?

Post by Bstreet2307 »

Has any of you heard of sedona mx885's? Cycle gear just put out that their summer sale will include these tires. I believe its 49 for the rear and 39 for the front.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk