keihin pwk 36mm vs 36mm mikuni?

Got questions? We got answers....
tstevens

Post by tstevens »

hi im new to this forum so please be patient with me! :supz: i recently purchased an 88 kdx 200 . it has a fmf pipe boysen reeds and recent topend in it. i bought it knowing it needed sum carb work and quickly came to realize i just need a new carb,it has a 36mm keihin pwk on it. slide is seriously scratched and grooved, (runs very erratic) anyone have any suggestions on the best place to buy a direct fitting carb for it . local bike shop orderd one but it ended up having to big of an opening(filter side) and wouldnt fit into stock air box! and if anyone suggests a that mikuni will work fine,what size jets should i start with?? i do know keihin and mikuni dont use the same numbering when it comes to jets!! any help would be greatly appriciated thanx a ton!!!!
tstevens

Post by tstevens »

IM JUST GOING BY WHAT THE LOCAL BIKE SHOP TOLD ME ON THE 36MM!! ANYONE KNOW IF THIS IS TRUE OR NOT ?? IF NOT A 36MM WHAT IS IT THEN? A 35MM??
hockeyboysomers

Post by hockeyboysomers »

I have the same bike. I believe it has a 35mm PWK Keihen. I just replaced mine. You should be able to get a new 35mm PWK on ebay $200.00 shipped. The 33mm and 35 mm PWK have the same body size. The 36mm uses a bigger body.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

35mm PWK. Yep.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

http://www.jetsrus.com/individual_parts/016_150_su.html

$166.85 shipped and it should come with jets that may be a little rich but should still run ok.
hbgod

Post by hbgod »

if the old carb is junk u think u could send it to me(ill pay shipping) i just need a few little things off it
If you ain't Mixin Gas, You ain't Haulin Ass!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Make sure it has the lever on the right side. Most normal Keihin PWK35's I have seen don't have a lever and have the idle and air screw adjustments on the left side. Since the air box is on the left side, this is a problem.

Your bike's air boots are for the Keihin PWK35, so I would stick with that. Maybe you can find one on eBay. I looked forever and bought one, then one showed up the next week (which I bought too) :grin:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

The carb in the link above has the adjustments on the correct side for the KDX. So I would say the this is probably the normal setup for the PWK.

*EDIT* I missed the 1988 part. :oops:
Last edited by rbates9 on 10:27 am Aug 15 2012, edited 1 time in total.
hockeyboysomers

Re: keihin pwk 36mm vs 36mm mikuni?

Post by hockeyboysomers »

Jason is correct. Most of the replacement PWK carbs have the choke, idle, and air screww adjuster on the wrong side for a 1988 KDX200. In my case I decided to modify the new carb choke lever to match the older 1988 carb set up. The idle and air screw will have to be adjusted with the air box off. It will be a pain in the ass to have to take the air box off to adjust the idle, but I will have no choice. I pulled my carb off a 2004 KDX and put it on the 1988 KDX, and I could pull the choke, with a little effort. My new carb should arrive next week, I'll let everyone know how it works
tstevens

Re: keihin pwk 36mm vs 36mm mikuni?

Post by tstevens »

thank you evryone!!!! ill let you know how it works out for me