New guy cleaning air filter

Got questions? We got answers....
edog600
Supporting Member

Post by edog600 »

I pulled my air filter, a UNI to find that it is in 2 parts, 1 inside 1 out which I guess is normal. Do I oil both? Also both have some tears in the bottom where the rim/lip is glued on. Are they OK as is? Can I glue them, if so with what? Should I just buy a new one. Thanks
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Filters are cheap. I'd just buy a new one. On the UNI's yes you oil and clean both. I always found their "flter in a filter" idea to be a pain in the ass, so I stick with twinair now.
'00 KDX 220R
swingset

Re: New guy cleaning air filter

Post by swingset »

Yeah, trash that thing and buy a new one. I highly recommend the No-Toil system, which works on most dry filters....so much easier to clean and fuss with than petroleum-based oils and cleaners (plus, you can use OxyClean instead of their cleaner so it saves $$).
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: New guy cleaning air filter

Post by rbates9 »

swingset wrote:Yeah, trash that thing and buy a new one. I highly recommend the No-Toil system, which works on most dry filters....so much easier to clean and fuss with than petroleum-based oils and cleaners (plus, you can use OxyClean instead of their cleaner so it saves $$).

+1, Good tip on the oxyclean. I'll have to try that.

Another thing that wouldn't hurt is to buy two filters. Then when one is in the bike you have time to clean and let the other one dry good for the next swap. Saves a little time. I have a pair but they both tend to be dirty at the same time. :hmm: But at least I only have to clean them half as often. :grin:
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

there is nothing wrong with that filter, yeah it can be a pita to clean but I have never seen the inside dirty.
I use the no toil product with them too and it's working fine. It's easy to clean. Will have to try oxyclean.
One thing I noticed though, I use to use the washer on gentle to clean them and stopped doing so, it seems they last a lot longer if you hand wash them. (especially the glue)
I think I've had the same set of filters (3 sets) going for the past 4 years.
When the glue start to wear off, the filters come apart at the seams, I just toss them at that point.
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by zomby woof »

I also use Notoil and oxyclean. I use it on all my bikes and never had a problem. If you want, you can use a prefilter. Get some hair nets from the restaurant supply, oil them up, and fit them over your oiled filter before you go riding. At the end of the day, pull it off and throw it away. Your filter will be like new and you can use it another day. I regularly race on a track that can be really dusty and they work great.
Ontario, Canada