Hit the "official" trails for first time.

Got questions? We got answers....
edog600
Supporting Member

Post by edog600 »

I haven't been on here in a while but I am new to riding this year. I have been out a couple times this year and am getting a little better. However, first couple times out was riding private property and 2 tracks. This past weekend I went with some friends to the Houghton lake/ST Helen area in Mich and rode actual dirt bike trails. Whole new ball game. For those that don't live in Michigan the trails are basically very soft sand. Was very difficult riding. Friends were helping me and was a lot better by the end of the weekend but man is that tough. Bike Performed great. Would like to put new foam in the seat for a softer ride, I think it's pretty sacked out, its a 99. Any recommendations on where and what seat foam to get? If anyone wants to give me some pointers I am open to those as well. Thanks guys
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

All I can say is stay away from the CEET brand standard seat foam. I have it and it is hard as a rock compared to the stock foam. I too would like something a little more comfy.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Hit the "official" trails for first time.

Post by diymirage »

if you spend enough time on the seat to notice the condition of the foam your not on the pipe enough ;)

with the trails ive riden here in MI (horseshoe lake, evart) there are a TON of whoops which are best ridden in the attack position, the only time im on the seat is when we hit the connecting seasonal roads

as for the loose sand, its been the harsh summer, once we get some good rain the soil will firm up

hey, ill be up in evart the first weekend of september, we should meet up
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
JoKDX220r
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JoKDX220r »

As diymirage said, try not to sit... I ride 99.5% of the time standing. If you have the chance take a dirt bike school to learn the basic of the weight transfer on your bike while standing.. Try the "stop and go" technic. The school will be a better investment than seat foam :grin: :partyman:
the machinist
Supporting Member

Post by the machinist »

Check out my pictures, I have cut my seat to a trials style, asked the guy to put the hardest foam he had in it. It feels like a frigging rock!
These guys are right standing is riding, watch the pro's, stairmaster is your friend.
-Matt
edog600
Supporting Member

Post by edog600 »

Thanks for the tips guys. I realize I should be standing more and do stand over the whoops etc. I have been riding sleds for years so I undertand standing and weight transfer, even though a bike is different. I don't necassarily want soft, more like springy to transition from sitting to standing easier. No doubt I will get better with time. Thanks for the replies