Here's a dumb question:

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXrider1989

Here's a dumb question:

Post by KDXrider1989 »

how can I tell if my float is bent? and if it is, would I be able to fix it?
the machinist
Supporting Member

Here's a dumb question:

Post by the machinist »

pull up a parts diagram from ant oem dealer and eye ball it.
-Matt
KDXrider1989

Re: Here's a dumb question:

Post by KDXrider1989 »

parts diagram for the KDX doesn't show much detail, and by eyeball it do you mean to check if the metal part that attaches to each float is vertically aligned with the back of the float? they look to be fine horizontally, but I don't know how to check if they are bent forward or backward. In this case, would the standard 16mm level from the mating surface of the float bowl to the top of the float still be the same if it measures 16mm?
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Here's a dumb question:

Post by canyncarvr »

KDXrider1989 wrote:how can I tell if my float is bent? and if it is, would I be able to fix it?
Hmmm....bent float.... :hmm:

Bent how? Sorry. I don't understand the 'forward or backward' part.

They should be 'similar' in placement side to side...one not lower than the other, not pigeon-toed or splayed. You can see that easily. They should not touch anything when assembled. That you can determine as you put the bowl on.

At the 16mm measurement (done correctly, pin spring not compressed), the float mold lines are parallel to the carb body, IIRC. That being true, IF at 16mm those mold lines ARE parallel to the body on both floats, that's an indication they are OK.

If you put the floats on a flat surface, it will be readily apparent if one is 'off' from the other.

It's been a rule of thumb to set the floats a tad low anyway: Keeps the carb from dribbling fuel when the bike is on the sidestand.

Low in the bowl..less fuel. Not low when measuring the stated 16mm from the body. That, of course, makes 'em HIGHer when you turn the carby right-side-up.

But, you knew that. :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

Thanks Canyncarvr, I'll go check that right now! when I adjusted the float height (or tried to) I measured the height when the pin spring WAS compressed :doh: and I kinda grabbed the float itself and pushed a screwdriver onto the tang for adjustment when I first pulled the carb apart, which makes me think I might've bent 'em
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

KDXrider1989 wrote:Thanks Canyncarvr, I'll go check that right now! when I adjusted the float height (or tried to) I measured the height when the pin spring WAS compressed :doh: and I kinda grabbed the float itself and pushed a screwdriver onto the tang for adjustment when I first pulled the carb apart, which makes me think I might've bent 'em

Ooops. :naughty:

Adjusting the floats with the spring compressed will get you quite a low fuel level. I don't know if that would be a problem or not..but you don't want to run the bowl dry at 7000RPM in 6th gear at 75mph!

The float tang is to just touch the pin, not compress it.

'I kind'a grabbed the float...' sounds rough. Treat 'em gentle like.

Treat the whole mess that way. Gently. For example: You don't want to bend the clip that holds the needle...'cuz you don't want any pressure ON the needle to impede its going up and down. Same for the hinge pin.

Good luck!

Consider the source

MikeyMike

Post by MikeyMike »

I put a new carb on my 89 last week....then I sold the bike today. Still kickin myself. But anyway, I still have the old carb and possibly the only part of it thats any good is the float. Let me know if you want it. rooster_cruzer@yahoo.com
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

readjusted the float a few minutes ago, it's about 17mm from the top of the float to the float bowl mating surface. When it does measure 16mm, the float mold lines do go parallel to the body on both floats, so at least I know its not bent. I have a 155 main jet paired with a 42 pilot, CGK needle in the 2nd position from the top. I'm at sea level, so I'll see how it runs tomorrow morning. on Inda's jetting guide, when he stated to "turn the air screw in and then back out slowly" does he mean to turn it all the way in?
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

does he mean to turn it all the way in?
Yes. Turn the air screw in gently until it stops. The "number of turns" offered by tuning guides refer to turns out from fully in.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

KDXrider1989 wrote: When it does measure 16mm, the float mold lines do go parallel to the body on both floats, so at least I know its not bent.
Those lines being parallel indicate the floats are OK on the longitudinal axis..front to back, but does not show anything about the cross-axis, left to right.

Right?

Looking directly 'down' the carb with it turned upside-down you should be able to determine the left-right part.

Also (and again) make sure there is NO interference between the floats and the bowl on assembly.

Consider the source