04 KDX200 scotts steering damper

Got questions? We got answers....
JSK4
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by JSK4 »

I had a friend install a used scotts damper on my bike and I was wondering if anyone else here that had one on there KDX could look at this to see if it was installed correctly. It is upside down, which I read was ok but I just wanted some reassurance before taking it out for a ride. Also was curious about the settings others might be using for single track trail riding (roots & rocks no sand).

Thanks!

04 KDX200 & 91 KDX250
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

That is a-okay. I mount my Scotts the same way on my hybrid and my Husky.
David Eckel
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

Im sure that will work. This is my setup on an '04. I bought it used from a guy that had it on a KX 250. I have KX forks, so had to get the tower for a KDX so it would fit the neck.Image
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
JSK4
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by JSK4 »

Thanks for the reply's.

By the way I don't usually post here because I can usually find my answer by searching other posts so thanks kdxrider for the great forum!

B737, I have to admit cosmetically I like the way yours is mounted more, even if it doesn't make a difference in performance.

Like I said I have never seen a picture of a KDX with it upside down. So if you can just mount it the way I did why would someone spend the extra money on the tower? I understand why you did with the KX forks (btw: I would like to do the fork conversion as well) but others?
04 KDX200 & 91 KDX250
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

JSK4 wrote:Like I said I have never seen a picture of a KDX with it upside down. So if you can just mount it the way I did why would someone spend the extra money on the tower? I understand why you did with the KX forks (btw: I would like to do the fork conversion as well) but others?
Uh, yours should have a tower as well otherwise how would it actually attach to the frame of the bike?
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 04 KDX200 scotts steering damper

Post by Julien D »

I was gonna say, looks like that damper won't do a thing. Doesn't appear to have a damping arm connected to the frame.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

at this point it's really just bling factor...looks good but doesn't do anything.
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

B737driver's second picture shows how the scotts needs to be mounted - the scotts pivot point needs to share the same center as the steering stem, the rest is just a matter of getting the thing linked up to a frame pivot. What's the point of the backwards mounting?

Hey, B737driver; Are your forks shortened? If not, your geometry is wrong - you need to get some risers so the forks can be slid up higher in the triples - if yes, that's cool.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
Fatherof2
Supporting Member

Post by Fatherof2 »

Adding a Scotts damper to my KDX was one of the very best mods I have made.
For God and Country......Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo!!
JSK4
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by JSK4 »

Sorry maybe I used the wrong term "tower". I was not present when he installed it but he said there was a clearance issue when in stalled the other direction.

I realize I should be doing things myself but am very new to working on the bike and didn't trust myself doing it. I'm learning...

Anyways I took a couple more pictures. It is working when I rode it (maybe even to stiff), I just putted in the driveway so didn't try playing with the setting yet. Since I bought it used I'm not sure what the previous owner had it setup for.

04 KDX200 & 91 KDX250
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

That should work. You'll need to play with the settings to get it how you like it. It's a very personal thing, depending on how and where you ride.
JSK4
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by JSK4 »

Julien D wrote:That should work. You'll need to play with the settings to get it how you like it. It's a very personal thing, depending on how and where you ride.
Thanks Julien.

Next task: Dyna Ring! I just need to buy a torque wrench first.

I hope I don't run into the issues sped66 had on the thread here :prayer:
04 KDX200 & 91 KDX250
JSK4
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by JSK4 »

Now I get it.....I should have at least did some research before posting here.

So I took the bike out to play with the settings today and I knew something was wrong. It was to tight and making a creaking noise.

I pulled it off the bar mount and:

The tower pin was carving into the stabilizer. I know that you can adjust the tower pin height but now that I understand the way everything works I'd like fix it to the normal position. I bought this used from someone that had the same bike I have so I don't understand why he would have reversed the link arm.

So reversing the damper on the bar mount is no problem but on the scott's site they recommend using a link arm puller that they sell to reverse the link arm. Has anyone here reversed there link arm without using there tool?
04 KDX200 & 91 KDX250
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

You will need the special puller to remove the arm. Maybe there is a way to do it without the special tool, but I'd hesitate to experiment with such an expensive component. In your pictures, it shows the tower pin is not fully inserted into the tower. Make sure that there is no obstruction in your tower preventing the pin from sliding all the way in until the black collar bottoms on the tower. Also make sure that the pin is greased and can rotate side-to-side smoothly.
David Eckel
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

The Scotts guys were very helpful when I was trying to get mine setup correctly. The manual for the damper is also available. The top of the pin should be level with the top of the tower.
Live to Fly
Fly to Live