Kicker will not recoil.

Got questions? We got answers....
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Kicker will not recoil.

Post by Dekon »

So I finally got all my parts in and put the bike back together. Now, here is my problem. The kicker will not recoil back after kicking it. So I took everything apart just to double check and everything seems fine. Without the case on, it recoils fine. I'm stumped. I did replace the kicker oil seal, but I doubt that it is sealing that tight. Any ideas anyone?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Kicker will not recoil.

Post by Julien D »

Not enough pressure on the spring, perhaps? Did you line up the dots on the ratchet gear and shaft? That will ensure that when you wind the spring you get enough tension to bring it back against the stop.
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Kicker will not recoil.

Post by Dekon »

That was the first thing I checked.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Kicker will not recoil.

Post by Julien D »

So once you seat the kickstart assembly, you do have to wind the spring clockwise a bit to reach the retention hole? The only thing I could think of is an extra washer or something that got put in there which is causing pressure on the assembly when you tighten down the cover.

Side note: be very careful when testing the kicker movement without the cover on. With nothing to support the outside of the shaft, the spur gear can put pressure on the very thin portion of the RH case toward the rear and crack it.
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Kicker will not recoil.

Post by Dekon »

I had to turn it like a 1/3 of turn to get it to line up with the hole in the case. I kind of figured about the support, so I was only turning the kicker by hand.

I think I might have it figured out. There is one coil of the spring that is not on the plastic holder. It is kind of hanging over the front of the holder a little bit. I am wondering if that is getting caught between the holder and case binding it up. Now I just have to figure how to get it to fit over the holder. Any ideas?
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Kicker will not recoil.

Post by dfeckel »

That white plastic collar inside the kicker recoil spring is a right bugger to keep properly positioned when putting the kicker mechanism back in. It has to have the end of the spring in its groove for the whole shebang to work. It is entirely too easy to reassemble without that damned collar fully seated, and if it's not right, the kicker won't come back up.
David Eckel
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Kicker will not recoil.

Post by rbates9 »

dfeckel wrote:That white plastic collar inside the kicker recoil spring is a right bugger to keep properly positioned when putting the kicker mechanism back in. It has to have the end of the spring in its groove for the whole shebang to work. It is entirely too easy to reassemble without that damned collar fully seated, and if it's not right, the kicker won't come back up.
Like he said.