Barkbusters, Scotts and 7/8 bars?

Got questions? We got answers....
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Barkbusters, Scotts and 7/8 bars?

Post by wanaride »

Long time, no post...

I recently installed new grips and a Scotts damper, and today I tried to re-install the Fredette barkbusters onto the 7/8" bars. Since I had to bow the crossbar on my 7/8" bars to accommodate the Scotts damper, the new location of the crossbar mounts is right where my barkbuster mounts used to be. Looking at the barkbusters and their mounts, I don't see how my barkbusters will fit back on the bars.

1) Does anyone have an idea as to how to make this setup work? I think EFM sells a triple-clamp barkbuster mount but I haven't tried it, and I'm not sure it would work with these FRP barkbusters anyway.
2) Will I have to go to a "big bar" in order for the Scotts and barkbusters to all fit happily?
3) Is there another brand of barkbuster that will work better in this situation? Cycra? Acerbis?

Thanks for your help!
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Any way you go... your gonna have to spend some $$. You could order the Rethnal pre-bent bars from Scotts, Buy the tree mounts or you might be able to find some bark busters that work but it will be hit or miss.

I don't understand why you have to bend your crossbar.... I didn't have any problem mounting mine with the CR-Hi's even when they were on the stock KDX frontend....

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Do you have any pics of the bars and hand guards? I had a similar problem with my Acerbis hand guards. I went to Pro taper fat bars and the hand guard clamps were made for 7/8" bars. I went out riding one day and wound up with the clutch under my bars after hitting some simple tall weeds along a trail. That was enough for me. I went home and made my handguards fit the new bars 7/8" or not. I just pried the clamps futher apart and clamped them on, but my out gurad parts that slip into the end of the bars was sticking out to far. Simple fix, I picked up the shot hammer and drove them in. :twisted: They wrok great and it bowed the handguards out further to where it gave me more room between the grips and handguards. Worked out great. Try to post some pics so we can see what your dealing with.

Jon.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Are you running 2 kill switches Vince ??

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

One is lights and the other is kill.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Cool, so is one an ON/OFF type (lights) and the other one a push and hold type (kill switch) job ??

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yup... Left Kill/ Right Lights :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Cycra sells the upper tripleclamp barkbuster mounts. I have 'em on my KX and they are far and away superiour to anything you can mount to your bars. Here's why:
1. The bars aren't cluttered with another 2 items bolted to them. Too many things now, with the crossbar, IMO.
2. By using the Cycra mounts on the triple clamp, there's no way the bark busters can rotate like they can when mounted on the bars. No matter how tight you tighten the bar clamps and the bark buster end clamps, you will rotate them in a hard crash. I've done it so many times, it makes me sick!!!
3. The Cycra mounts will work with any of the popular bark busters out there. Acerbis, Moose, Maier, etc. I've got almost every type there is and they all fit using these tripleclamp mounts.
4. They are pretty cheap. http://www.rockymountainmc.com has them for under $40. Depending on wether you need front triple clamp adaptors (Part#16-5502) or the side triple clamp adaptors (Part# 10-5502) There's one to fit your stock KDX clamp, aftermarket KDX clamp, KX modified forks w/ stock KX clamp, or an aftermarket KX clamp.

One thing though, they don't come with the tripleclamp bolts. Just take your bolts to any hardware store and get a replacement that is about 1/2 inch longer. Mine needed to be 8x40mm to work.

Hope this helps. And I hope my costly experiance doesn't fall on deaf ears.

Oh, one more thing, If you need the bar end inserts (The part that clamps the barkbusters to the ends of the bars) rockymountain has those too for under $8 a set. Part# 105-402.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Ski... see where my bolts are on the trees? Do they make them for my mounts? :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Yup, just get long bolts and a nut. Mount the long bolt just as the stock one, then the Cycra mount, then the nut. The mount is at the front of the clamp.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It isn't tapped all the way through...Weird I know... but just the way it is. :?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Dang, Vince, I just gave away a TAG upper clamp that would have fit fine to my KX500 buddy, Doug. I'll check his stock clamp and if it will work, I'm sure he'll pass it on to you. His looks like yours, but the bolts go in from the other side. Otherwise, it's time to get out the old tap-n-die set!!!
Jerry

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

That'll do!!!! :supz:
Jerry

wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Inda, I had to bow my crossbar because my damper is mounted 180degrees from where yours is. In other words, as you are sitting on your seat, the "Scotts" logo is upside down and close to you, but you can easily access your damper controls. As I sit on my bike, the "Scotts" logo is rightside up and away from me, and the damper controls are basically under the crossbar.

Ski, thanks for the headsup on those mounts. I'll check them out, that sounds like a cheaper mod than the fat bars.
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

With farbars you'd need a new top clamp too!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****