My 1989 CL Special rebuild.

Got questions? We got answers....
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: My 1989 CL Special rebuild.

Post by Goofaroo »

I'm guessing you're going to need to pull the clutch cover and you probably just filled it with new oil. If you lay it on it's side you won't lose the oil and it will probably make reassembly easier.

How does the lever feel? Does it feel like it's actually doing something or is it just stiff?
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

I am going to lay it on the side like you said. Before, I had to do the same thing as I had ther lever adjusted to tight and it popped out of the case.

The lever definitely feels like it is doing something. Right now the arm is lined up with the screw near the kicker and when I pull it in the arm is 90 degrees to the center line of the bike, if you know what I mean.
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

rbates9 wrote:
Dekon wrote: When I pull in the lever, it pulls, but the clutch will not engage. I tried to adjust both at the perch and down by the clutch arm. Still no clutch. When the bike was apart, I measured the plates and they were all within spec. Anyone have any ideas?
Are you saying that the clutch will not disengage or will not engage? When you put the bike in gear does it just sit there or does it take off? It sounds like something might not be assembled correctly. Like a washer out of place or something.
I had the bike running on the stand and put it in gear and everything seemed fine. I pull in the clutch and the wheel still spins.
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

I had the bike running on the stand and put it in gear and everything seemed fine. I pull in the clutch and the wheel still spins.
The wheel still spinning could just be parasitic friction even though the clutch is disengaged. My street bikes will spin the rear wheel just idling in neutral on the center stand. Have you put it on the ground to see if the clutch is functional?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Goofaroo wrote:
The wheel still spinning could just be parasitic friction even though the clutch is disengaged. My street bikes will spin the rear wheel just idling in neutral on the center stand. Have you put it on the ground to see if the clutch is functional?
+1
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

I engaged the clutch and hit the rear brake and the bike stalled. I do have a couple of questions though:

1. Does the 12mm nut on the cable go to the left or the right side of the cable holder on the case?
2. Do you fully tighten the screws on the clutch springs?
3. Could the clutch plates have siezed?
suzuki 166

Post by suzuki 166 »

the nut goes on the left side to lock the cable in place the clutch bolts are tightend to 9.3 nm and the plates can stick together just take them out separate them soak in oil and reinstal
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

Dekon wrote:I am going to lay it on the side like you said. Before, I had to do the same thing as I had ther lever adjusted to tight and it popped out of the case.

The lever definitely feels like it is doing something. Right now the arm is lined up with the screw near the kicker and when I pull it in the arm is 90 degrees to the center line of the bike, if you know what I mean.
I've had the same problem (lever popping up out of the cover). Assuming that your clutch is back together properly, plates have oil between them, and the basket isn't notched to hell, check the pusher and case lever for wear. The two wear over time and can cause the symptoms where the lever pops up out of the cover. What happens is the pusher tip gets worn out and you adjust cable tension to compensate and then the lever gets turned too much and pops up. You can put a washer under the pusher to bring the tip out more but make sure it isn't so big that it rubs the outside of the bearing. Post pics if you still have trouble.
Fletch
89 kdx 200 with 99 rm125 forks
ArkAngel

Post by ArkAngel »

Dekon wrote:I engaged the clutch and hit the rear brake and the bike stalled. I do have a couple of questions though:

1. Does the 12mm nut on the cable go to the left or the right side of the cable holder on the case?
2. Do you fully tighten the screws on the clutch springs?
3. Could the clutch plates have siezed?

I had the same problem with my kdx 89. i stripped everything and put it back together and still the same problem.
I ended up speaking to someone at a local bike shop that has a few KDX's and he solved my problem.
How many metal plates to friction plates do you have?
I put the wrong gearbox oil in. I put 90w oil when i should have been putting in like 40w oil.
That solved my problem. hope it helps.
KDX 200
KDX 250
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

Got it to work. I took the whole thing apart and reassembled it. Works fine now. I did have the nut on the wrong side of the keeper on the case. I wonder if that the problem the whole time. And on another note, I snapped one of the bolts off in the clutch spring holder :doh: . As I was torquing the bolts down on my first pass it snapped. I was not even at 1/4 of the final torque when it happened. It must have had a hair-line fracture in it, I guess.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Glad to hear you got it sorted out but it sucks to break a bolt there.
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

better to show up now... Glad to hear it"s cool
Fletch
89 kdx 200 with 99 rm125 forks
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

Well it is finally finished. Now all I have to do is take it out for a shake down ride. I can not wait. Thanks to the members of this site for help and guidance getting this back into riding condition.

Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

Now that I am all done working on it, what am I going to do with my time now? :hmm:
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

rbates9 wrote:Glad to hear you got it sorted out but it sucks to break a bolt there.
I must tell you, had a friend come over with left hand(twist) drill bits. He center punched it, put the drill bit on it, it caught in the bolt, and backed it right out. Literally a one minute job. That night, went out and bought myself a set of left handed bits.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Bike looks great! :partyman:

Now it's time to go ride it like you stole it. A dirt bike shouldn't shine like that. :lol: