Ohlins Rear Shock for 2004 KDX 200 - Advice

Got questions? We got answers....
nigele

Post by nigele »

Hi all, this is my first post on here and wondering if anyone knows if an Ohlins rear shock off a 2006 KXF450 would fit a 2004 KDX 200. I have an option on a used one and I understand a good mod to do to the bike...any thoughts or knowledge? The current shock measures 43cm from centre of the top hole to centre of the bottom hole. The Ohlins is 48.5 so a bit of a difference so may require me to use smaller linkages. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks :supz:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Ohlins Rear Shock for 2004 KDX 200 - Advice

Post by Julien D »

I seriously doubt it. The shock on the KDX is actually quite good, so I'm not sure why you'd feel the need to change it. The money would be better spent in upgrading the front forks.
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

An ohlins off a heavier MX bike is a great idea. You don't need to shorten the linkage rods, heat the spring to make it fit, shorten the shock internally with a spacer, revalve it, paint the bike black so people can see your golden mod better from far away and go riding. It will look cool, nigele. :roll:
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Someone did a shock swap a while back but I can't remember what it was from. As for the mod itself, I don't see why anyone would be against you doing it if it would fit. However, it probably won't fit easily and you would need an experienced suspension guy to be able to work it so that it would work at least as good as the stocker.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

The concensus about the kdx shock is it works well as is (with correct spring weight). It can be revalved too (frp did mine and it was right on)
With that being said, if u like to tinker, by any means go ahead and please post your findings.
The odds are u will spend a lot more time and money than if u were to revalve it respring it. :wink:
nigele

Post by nigele »

Thanks guys, that is really helpful feedback. The Ohlins is longer than the stock shock and I do love to tinker with the bike...maybe one of the key reasons I bought one is that they are so easy to work on.

Interesting to know that people feel the stock one is a good shock and I have to admit now I am having some second thoughts...maybe rather than fit and repaint the bike so people can see it, I should just paint the stock spring yellow!! (Joking).

I am in New Zealand and we have a few good places that can assist me to fit and setup the Ohlins. It is not expensive either (equates to around $250 US) and in great condition so might be a worthy investment for another future project either way.

I have also just made an offer on some 2006 KLX300 front forks and triples from the US as part of my next upgrade. :-)
nigele

Post by nigele »

This is my bike as it stands.

Rear Sprocket to a Renthal 49T
New Gold chain
Renthal Twin Wall high bars
FMF Gnarly Woods and Turbine 2
New Gaitors
New Graphics from Senge (Amazing quality)
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

looks nice nigele, but isnt that chain to tight ?
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
nigele

Post by nigele »

No I think it is just the pic that makes it look like that...only had one ride on the new chain and it has enough slack. But thank you for the words of advice! :-)

Re the rear shock...I have given it much thought and decided against the Ohlins. I think the cost and inconvenience doesn't overtake the benefit. The rear shock is fine and the money would be better spent on valve, re-spring if required and the front shocks. Appreciate the true value of a forum like this...no point asking the question and not considering the advice.

Thanks to everyone and I will post a pic once I get the front end done.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

You can find an ohilns shock that will fit....however, as many said it's unnecessary. Concentrate on the front susp....which would be a sweet place for some Ohlins :mrgreen:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Thomasf

Post by Thomasf »

What is a direct replacement for the rear shock that doesn't require so much effort? The stock KDX Shock has no internal hard coating so it fouls the oil quickly. Haven't found the right answer yet.
osobad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by osobad »

front fork is def more important mod, With that said ,if you have already done that then any good shock with a separate high speed circuit is going to be better at high speed whoops and rough terrain than the stock shock even with revalve. Yes there is nothing wrong with and actually for what it is the stock shock is quiet good but up to moderate speed on big whoops or other rough stuff that causesd the short wheelbase Kdx to get nervous and swap ends . A properly set up shock with a high speed circuit just works better for this type of riding. If you ride tight single track and no high speed rough stuff don't bother not worth it but if you want a very agile bike that is stable at high speeds and don't want to build a hybrid then I think this is the way to go. The easiest one that I know of is the showa off of an rm125 or 250 but if you can find an ohlins to work that would be great
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

Only problem with all the responses is that they were from people with no experience with an Ohlins.
I put an Ohlins on my KDX200 and the difference it made caused me to feel of all the mods that I did to it that it was the best.
I had stock front forks and I hit all the MX stuff as fast as anyone and had no problem with it. But that sucky cheap-ass crummy Jap shock caused me to swap bad once and overall just wasn't very good even after rebuilding it. And yeah I know how to setup a shock.
Its a much better investment to make the rear end plush.
With that Ohlins shock on I would hit the nastiest jumps. On one drop away a friend told me I was jumping farther than the #1 rider in the experts class and yet it felt like nothing. That shock literally turned me into a MX superman. Only the bike weight and the small carb (28mm for the SR200) held me back in some sections.
As a matter of fact now that I no longer have the KDX I have bought an Ohlins shock in preparation for the next KDX I buy. None of you know what "smooth" is till you ride on an Ohlins.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Jaguar wrote:Only problem with all the responses is that they were from people with no experience with an Ohlins.
Really? None of us have experience with Ohlins? I've had Ohlins. Yes, flat out it was the best rear shock I've ever had the pleasure of riding with. However, there isn't one out there that is a straight bolt-on for a KDX without mods unless you know something I don't.

Also, for the record, I have found the '01-'06 RM125 Showa shock, after being worked by a decent suspension guy, to be just as good as the Ohlins 888 and other commonly found shocks from Ohlins. Plus, the Showa can be found easier and cheaper.

Now, how about helping out your fellow KDX riders and do a write up of which Ohlins you used and the mods it took to use it? I'm sure there are some here that would love another rear shock option.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thomasf, which model do you have?

I think all 1989 and newer are anodized or coated internally, but 1988 and older might not be.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
osobad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by osobad »

Jag, I believe I said the Ohlins would be a good choice too. Response was to people who said it was not worth I to upgrade the rear shock. While Ohlin are great the Jap stuff can be made to work as good and are cheaper. Some of us do have some experience
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

I think the Ohlins from a 2002 GasGas 200 EC has a length closer to that of the stock KDX shock. I don't remember from which KTM I got the Ohlins for my '89 KDX200. All I did was revalve it and make dog bones 3mm longer.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

Showa is OK but not as good as Ohlins. Even though the rider may not be racing like I did he would still appreciate the Ohlins lack of stiction. Even when I rode my KDX on the street I could tell the increased smoothness of the rear as it readily moved with every little bump.