1995 KDX 200 Re-Birth

Got questions? We got answers....
95_KDX200

1995 KDX 200 Re-Birth

Post by 95_KDX200 »

Hello all, as I stated in my welcome thread I am a new KDX 200 owner. I was at a swap meet the past weekend and seen a 1995 KDX 200 for sale for $350. The bike was locked up and the previous owner didn't what was wrong with it. I ended up getting the bike for $250 and it was complete minus a silencer. The bike looks to be pretty much stock, but the bonus is the FMF gnarly pipe on it.

As soon as we unloaded it off of the truck, I de-greased and pressure washed it in preparation to remove the engine. I ordered a flywheel puller, crank puller/installer, and case splitter. I removed the engine and started the tare down. I got the service manual for it off of Ebay, so I am set to move forward. The top end came apart without any issues, so that wasn't the problem. It has a wiseco std bore piston and rod, and the cylinder is fine, just has a little glazing to scotchbrite out. I did see a thin piece of metal that looked like a piece of tinfoil, so if I had to guess I think the crank bearing nuked but not sure. My case splitter and crank puller will be in this weekend, so I will have the skinny on whats up with it in a few days. Any Guesses?? I have been reading a lot on here, and I have to say there is a Ton of great information and glad I found it.

For the rest of the bike, it has lacked pretty much all maintenance. There were bolts loose on the engine, missing bolts on the plastics, the rear sprocket is worn, the reeds are bowed, swing arm bearings and bushings shot, and other things just neglected. The power valve was like a block of carbon. I am the kind of person that likes projects instead of buying a running and ready to ride bike, car, or whatever...

So for the progress so far on the bike, I have done the following:
De-greased bike and engine
Removed engine
Removed plastics, seat, gas tank
Sand blasted rusted parts on the frame and roughed up good paint
Brushed the frame with black miracle paint, so it is hard as a rock
Have motor down to where it is ready to split case. All parts labeled and bagged

Items I have ordered or got all ready:
Flywheel puller
Case splitter
Crank Puller/Installer
Rear wheel bearings
Swing arm kit
Hot shots rod kit

Items to order (bigger ones)
Piston kit, going with Wiseco
Bearings and Seals for engine
Sending crank to RD for rebuild, not taking any chances
Sending head to RD get milled
Sprocket and chain kit. Think I am going with 13/50, mostly woods riding
Shock spring for my weight and possible rebuild
Full gasket kit
shifter rod, the one on it is toast and has been welded before
FMF TurbineCore 2 silencer
More to come.

Well that's enough typing for tonight. Below are some pics of the bike when I got it and some of what I have done. I will post some more of what I have done and what my plans are for the bike. I do use the search functions on forums, but sometimes to the point where I don't post a lot. I will be looking for some advice, and will have some questions along the way and look forward to just conversing with yinz and showing my progress. Thanks for all of the help already with this forum!!
JTG.

SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

1995 KDX 200 Re-Birth

Post by SS109 »

Awesome! Way to save a bike that was destined to be parted out or end up in the back of a garage and forgotten about. :prayer:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R