Clutch Gets Hard

Got questions? We got answers....
zepplin153

Clutch Gets Hard

Post by zepplin153 »

OK,
So here is my problem: I start my bike and clutches work fine. when i get going they get real firm to the point where they wont disengage. when i slow down they free back up within about 30 seconds of being at rest. This is a first to me. any ideas?
'98 KDX 200 (KLX300 Forks)
cornishwrecker220

Clutch Gets Hard

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

has the clutch been apart/taken off recently?? sounds like the clutch centre locking nut has worked loose...remove the casing & inspect.
zepplin153

Re: Clutch Gets Hard

Post by zepplin153 »

yes i have removed them recently, and I will try this. thanks
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Clutch Gets Hard

Post by scheckaet »

u forgot a washer on reassembly (that very thin one). find it, put it back go ride and grin.
zepplin153

Clutch Gets Hard

Post by zepplin153 »

scheckaet wrote:u forgot a washer on reassembly (that very thin one). find it, put it back go ride and grin.
there are 2 washers. one inside (i think its there but I will check). the other is on the clutch pusher (between the actuator bearing and the actuator rod going through the case). I took that one out per the manual's instruction. It talks about the angle of where the cable connects to the actuator needing to be 80-90 degrees, and removing the washer will set it right. I am not so sure the washer is my problem.

I have read the basket can get grooves which will make it slow to engage. can te opposite happen? for example make it hard to disengage? where would i find said groves?

Would spent clutches act this way? It kind of feels like 2nd could be slipping. or my bike is super bad ass and the tire spins out easy. (either way my KDX is super bad ass).

Again, It only happens when the motor is in a higher RPM and under a load. once I stop (which can be a challenge) it eventually goes back to normal.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Clutch Gets Hard

Post by rbates9 »

Where did you find a KDX 300? :hmm:

The basket being bad I don't think would make it harder to pull the clutch because you are still just compressing the springs, if the plates move or not.

I would take the clutch back apart and make sure everything is where it should be and tight if it needs to be and loose if it needs to be.
zepplin153

Clutch Gets Hard

Post by zepplin153 »

rbates9 wrote:Where did you find a KDX 300? :hmm:

The basket being bad I don't think would make it harder to pull the clutch because you are still just compressing the springs, if the plates move or not.

I would take the clutch back apart and make sure everything is where it should be and tight if it needs to be and loose if it needs to be.
In the darkest depths of Mordor. Sauron himself forged the KDX300, one bike to rule them all.... :prayer:

will do, and will get back to you.

Please see revision below
zepplin153

Clutch Gets Hard

Post by zepplin153 »

cornishwrecker220 wrote:has the clutch been apart/taken off recently?? sounds like the clutch centre locking nut has worked loose...remove the casing & inspect.
You win! It was a loose Nut. Nice. That was a good free fix. How can they work loose?