Rev pipe to woods pipe switch

Got questions? We got answers....
SCREAM

Post by SCREAM »

I currently have the Rev pipe and my 2002 200 has such a hard hit when the valves open I was wondering if I could just switch to the woods pipe to spread this power out. I did a search on flywheel weights because a couple guys I ride with recommended one from steahly but after reading your guys thoughts it talked me out of it. Background on the bike is: brand new top end on rebuilt bottom end, Rev and powercore, v-force reed cage, RB head and Carb, sprockets are at 12-48. Thanks for any help fellas.

BTW what the hell is this? :toimonster:
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Go with the woods. You'll be happy.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Rev pipe to woods pipe switch

Post by diymirage »

i wonder how much he could gain by playing with the KIPS adjustment?
if he takes out one washer it should hit later and maybe less abrupt?
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

If you're still on the stock needle, a DEL + re-jet will smooth it out considerably.
KDXjack
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDXjack »

When you say it hits hard does that mean you are having trouble keeping the front wheel on the ground? Maybe a little taller gearing might help? 12/48 is lower than most guys are running. Just a thought.
SCREAM

Post by SCREAM »

Julien, not on the stock needle anymore because I have the RB modded stock carb. Not sure what needle he threw in there.

DIYmirage, I wouldn't mind messing with the KIPS if I had some clue what I was doing. Got any pics?

RBates, I will end up getting a woods pipe just to have both for different riding. I was hoping I could just have one for all purpose riding but this rev pipe makes power up high and hits hard so I need something for rocky, tight, single track.

KDXjack, not really lifting the front unintentionally but it reminds me of riding a brand new KX100 if that helps. The bike runs clean, smooth, and strong its just real pipey.

I guess my unreasonable convoluted question is, can I just swap pipes without changing anything else like jetting or premix ratio? I'd like to hear from other guys who have tried both pipes to see how big of a difference it is and what they noticed. I'll also be giving a full review to help others who are trying to decide. Thanks again fellas