Electrical Help - Updated

Got questions? We got answers....
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Well, my new upgraded electrical power took a dump and I can't figure out why. I revved the engine and the bulb went bright and blew. My tail/brake light was still working but then it quit. I have tested the brake/tail with a 9v battery and it stills works. I tested the stator at the end of its leads under the tank and got right at 500 ohms which should be good. I tested the light switch and it shows perfect connection (.000 ohms) when on and almost 900 when off. I bypassed it to make sure and still can't get power. So, what else could it be? What other test can I do?
Last edited by SS109 on 04:35 am Aug 03 2012, edited 1 time in total.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Electrical Help

Post by m0rie »

Regulator?
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Electrical Help

Post by SS109 »

That is what I was thinking as well. I found some info online on how to test the AC output from the stator by connecting to ground and then to the yellow power lead totally bypassing the regulator. With the engine at high idle I get a reading of 4 to 4.1v. :sad: It doesn't go up much with RPM. BTW, tried with the reg as well and got the same readings so I think the it might be fine. I guess I must have shorted the coil somehow but I don't see how with the ohm readings I'm getting. Any clues?
'11 GasGas EC250R
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Electrical Help

Post by Julien D »

Try your test on the stator lead with the regulator unplugged, just for kicks and grins.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Electrical Help

Post by SS109 »

I did, 4 to 4.1v. I think I'm going to have to rewind it again. :sad:
'11 GasGas EC250R
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Electrical Help

Post by SS109 »

Well, I finished rewinding my stator... again! :sad: Well, this time I have done what I should have the first time, I sealed/insulated it properly. I used MG Chemicals Super Corona Dope. For anyone who wants to use the same stuff, it has to be cured with heat so do this when your wife/girlfriend isn't home as it really stinks! It came with two small brushes and one larger one built into the cap. I used the built in brush and started laying the stuff on thick. You could watch the thick layer of sealer just disappear into the windings. I kept going on all four sides until it wouldn't take anymore and had a visible layer above the windings. I then let it air dry for 30 minutes and preheated the oven to 225 degrees. When dry I ran a wire through one of the bolt holes to be used as a hook for hanging it in the oven and the baked it for 30 minutes per their website. The once thick layer of sealer had shrunk down to a thin layer just covering the windings. This is a big plus as it shouldn't be a problem to get the stator to clear the flywheel even though I wound it to the max. Hopefully I will get it soldered and installed this weekend. I might go ahead and install my Jaguar ignition as well since I'll have the tank off.

'11 GasGas EC250R
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

Wow, that came out awesome! When I need to rewind mine, I know where i'm sending it. JK
Last edited by Dekon on 10:52 am Aug 03 2012, edited 1 time in total.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

that winding looks professional. :supz: