What would you do?

Got questions? We got answers....
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

What would you do?

Post by Dekon »

I just want to see what others would do. I picked up a1989 for $200 off of CL. The bike is compete and is in fairly good shape. The plastics look real good and the seat is like brand new. The only thing is I never got to start it as the kicker was only engaging like 1 out of 10 times. It has spark. I also knew that the water pump seal needed to be replaced as the tranny oil was white/gray colored. From my other post, my son pulled the KIPS shaft out and the LH valve is not working now. So, what I am asking is this:

Would you just pull the whole bike apart now(seeing as how I have to take the motor out to repair the KIPS), or would you just pull the motor and fix the KIPS and kicker and make sure it runs?

One other thing, I pulled the kicker mechanism apart yesterday and all of the parts look great. The ratchet gear and the kick gear seem fine, the teeth show very little wear. I can not figure out why the kicker was only engaging sometime.

Sorry for the long post.
david

What would you do?

Post by david »

If you have the time and money, go ahead and go through the whole bike. You are sure to find other things that it needs, like swing arm bearings, fork seal, ect..
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

What would you do?

Post by SS109 »

Wow, great deal (or should I say steal?) on the bike! Like David said, I would go through the whole bike. Check all your bearings, probably needs fresh fork oil, etc. Take your time and we are here to help if you need us.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXrider1989

Re: What would you do?

Post by KDXrider1989 »

Every time I pick up a bike it always goes through a full maintenance, from wheel bearings to handlebars
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

What would you do?

Post by KDXGarage »

What were your expectations when you bought it? Is this a bike you are looking to resell or keep forever or somewhere in between? Do you mind spending a ton of money on it?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

What would you do?

Post by Dekon »

Sorry I should have been more specific, should I see if I can get it running properly first, meaning fix the KIPS and the kicker, putting the motor back in the frame and see if it will start. Then go through the whole bike. Or, tear it down to the bare frame, going through it and hope it runs in the end.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

What would you do?

Post by KDXGarage »

I suggest getting it to run first. Why rebuild forks / shocks / bearings / anything on a bike with an engine that won't crank? That is my suggestion.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

What would you do?

Post by rbates9 »

before you you tear it all apart check the compression and see what you have. Then pull the engine apart.