Been Sitting For A While...

Got questions? We got answers....
Laxgreg

Post by Laxgreg »

Greetings! Just picked up a low time 2003 220R that's been all but dormant for several (7-8?) years. Other than dust, cobwebs and some slight storage rash, all seems to be in excellent condition. Starts up with 2-3 kicks, idles smoothly, etc. What should I do/have done to this new toy before throwing a leg over it and heading away from the truck risking a long walk back?

It's been more years since I have ridden than I care to admit and want to make sure I get (re)started in the right direction.

Thanks for you input, advice and suggestions!!

Greg :grin:
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Been Sitting For A While...

Post by diymirage »

hate to tell you this but pull the cylinder and replace the stock grenade with a wiseco piston
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Yes you will want to check the piston and replace it if it is stock. The 220's had a bad habit of cracking the stock piston and wrecking everything it touched in the process.

Other then that it wouldn't hurt to pull the carb off and give it a good cleaning, even rejet it if your feeling ambitious. KDX's tend to come jetted on the fat side so you could pick up some extra power for cheap.

The bearings (suspension and steering) tend to be under greased from the factory as well but they could probably get you thru till the winter or another down time with out problems. And if a bearing lets go you should still be able to make it back.

Other then that I would just look over the bike and make sure everything is tight that should be tight and loose that should be loose. Change the transmission oil and clean the air filter too.
Laxgreg

Post by Laxgreg »

Thanks again for these tips and the insight. Will get with local dealers for piston replacement quotes. Any idea what this "should" cost? The tightening/loosening/fluid changing I am comfortable doing myself. Will take a look at the carb and make the decision whether to pull off myself or not.

Thanks again and continued tips appreciated!
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

When going for a new piston you NEED to avoid OEM. Go with a Wiesco.

Doing a top end on one of these bikes is pretty simple. I'm sure you can do it your self and you found a great site for help and advice if you end up needing it. :wink:

As for having the top end done at a shop it will probably cost a lot. The parts will run you about $100 for a piston and about $20-$40 for a top end gasket set. A good shop should be able to do a top end in about 2-3 hours so that might give you an idea of what it will cost you. But don't be surprised if they want to charge you for more time then that.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Laxgreg wrote:Thanks again for these tips and the insight. Will get with local dealers for piston replacement quotes. Any idea what this "should" cost? The tightening/loosening/fluid changing I am comfortable doing myself. Will take a look at the carb and make the decision whether to pull off myself or not.

Thanks again and continued tips appreciated!
Your best bet is to do the work yourself. About a dozen bolts removed to pull the cylinder, pop in a new top end kit, and stitch it back up. You can pay a shop a few hundred if you like, but it's really very easy to do yourself. You can grab a top end kit for about $130 and with a few hours time you're good to go. The reason people advise this, the stock 220 cast aluminum piston is prone to dropping it's skirts, and not in a good way. I would certainly agree, put a forged piston in it. After that, just go ride!
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Laxgreg

Post by Laxgreg »

Outstanding info. Is there a specific "plug and play" Wiesco piston? Not looking to increase the bore, just keep this mod as simple as practical. Best to acquire at a dealer, online, eBay?

Thanks again. Looking forward to getting this project underway in the next couple of weeks after moving the bike from So Cal to its new home in Texas...
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

it's hard to beat RMATV.com, get all my stuff there.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Laxgreg wrote:Outstanding info. Is there a specific "plug and play" Wiesco piston? Not looking to increase the bore, just keep this mod as simple as practical. Best to acquire at a dealer, online, eBay?

Thanks again. Looking forward to getting this project underway in the next couple of weeks after moving the bike from So Cal to its new home in Texas...
Yep, once you have pulled the cylinder and verified that it is indeed a stock piston, and standard, you will replace with a standard wiseco.