KIPS valves

Got questions? We got answers....
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

KIPS valves

Post by Dekon »

Quick question, while working on my bike today(E-1), my assistant(3 Y.O. son) pulled on the KIPS shaft and now, the left valve does not open.. When I took the exhaust off earlier, all of the KIPS valves worked. I am wondering if he pulled the shaft out to far and disengaged the valve. What do you think?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: KIPS valves

Post by SS109 »

Yeah, that's probably it. Just realign them like the manual says and you should be fine.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

KIPS valves

Post by Julien D »

The sub valves have gear teeth all the way around the shaft. No way to really "disengage" it, you could only throw it out of time. My guess is your helper found the bad spot on the gear teeth. Might want to pull them and have a good look.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

KIPS valves

Post by SS109 »

Julien D wrote:The sub valves have gear teeth all the way around the shaft. No way to really "disengage" it, you could only throw it out of time. My guess is your helper found the bad spot on the gear teeth. Might want to pull them and have a good look.
True. I was assuming the head was probably off and not all the KIPS parts in place. :doh:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

KIPS valves

Post by Julien D »

Correction. Does the idler gear have teeth all the way around? I'm thinking not. Can't remember off-hand. If the head was off, it's totally possible that the RH is out of time against the idler gear, and jammed up.
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

KIPS valves

Post by Dekon »

Well, I got the motor apart today. The left KIPS valve is toast. The shaft on the top is broken off and the gear is totally stripped. I don't think my son did that. On another note, it looks as if the motor was rebuilt before I bought it. There was very, very little carbon on the piston crown, it looks brand new. That might be reason why there was an E-2 head on it. BTW, what do you guys use to clean the KIPS shaft, valves, and resonator with?