1989 Voltage Regulator????

Got questions? We got answers....
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

OK, so I am putting together a list of what I need to get, as my wife calls it "The $200 KDX CL Special" up and running. For some unknown reason, I want the lights to work on the bike. I guess it is the OCD in me, as I do not plan to ride in the dark. I have the service manual for it and looking at the electrical diagram, I can not find a voltage regulator. The wiring on the bike is not cut and the plugs for the HL and on/off switch are still on the harness. When I look at the parts microfiche for the bike it shows one. What gives? Also, I do not have a HL for it, anyone recommend one that will look close to stock?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 1989 Voltage Regulator????

Post by SS109 »

The '89 bikes didn't come with a voltage regulator. Buy a cheap Moose or Trail Tech one, both about $15, and wire it in. It is super easy. Can't help on a stock style light.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Does the 1989 wiring harness fit the later model voltage regulator, or can the later wiring and regulator be used??
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
treelimb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by treelimb »

go ahead and ride in the dark. i do and find it to be quite a bit more intense as the trails that you know like the back of your hand completely change after dark. attempt to ride as fast as you do during the day! HA!

hopefully you'll get the lighting all straightened out. i upgraded mine,a 1997 kdx200,to an aftermarket light/plate combo and have more lumens. i also duct tape 2 flashlights to my helmet, 1 is a one watt and the other is a three watt,and all together they illuminate the trail pretty darn good.plus when i hit the ground,i still have light!

didn't mean to hijack the thread but did want to ask you to at least try riding at night.try it-you'll like it.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 1989 Voltage Regulator????

Post by Julien D »

I used an H series regulator on my 89. Just mounted to the airbox. FYI, if you wire it backwards it will fry your lighting coil instantly when you start the bike.