KDX Sand Handling

Got questions? We got answers....
rohann

KDX Sand Handling

Post by rohann »

Hey Guys,

I need some advice on the KDX handling in sand. I feel that the front end is very loose in riding in sand and she is everywhere.

What causes this and how can one remedy the problem?

Thanx,
Rohann
gregp

Re: KDX Sand Handling

Post by gregp »

Lower the rear end by reducing spring preload and compression damping. Drop your forks in the clamps as far as you can, and increase compression damping.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

KDX Sand Handling

Post by pumpguy »

I have no experience with a KDX in sand but as a general rule, a greater rake angle for the fork and a fatter front tire are good for sand. Longer dogbone links for the rear suspension or changing the frame's steering head angle (not recommended) will increase the rake angle. The KDX is listed @ 26.5 degrees. I wouldn't go beyond 28 degrees. Keep in mind that these changes will make tight woods and other technical riding more difficult.

Riding sand requires speed to float on top of it. The 'bars may wiggle a little but don't be afraid, just CRANK IT ON! If you slow down, the front wheel will dig in and dump you and then you'll have to start out all over.

Good luck.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

KDX Sand Handling

Post by fuzzy »

Jet fat!
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

KDX Sand Handling

Post by SS109 »

More speed! :rock:

Seriously, more speed will help keep your front from digging into the sand. I had never ridden in sand before moving to AZ and it scared the crap out of me at first. I went down too many times to count. I finally started listening to everyone that told me to go faster and it would get easier. I started doing and lo and behold they were right. I absolutely love ride sand now. Especially wet sand! :supz:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
terminatr

KDX Sand Handling

Post by terminatr »

I'm not a good rider by any stretch of imagination. But I don't ride fast in the sand. I just make sure I hold a steady throttle, and if I feel like the front is plowing, I add a little more throttle. I don't chop throttle to slow down. I don't go fast like people say, because there're lots of trees on both sides on the trails here. I also found out that standing up on the peg makes sand riding ten times easier than sitting back on the seat like people say. I don't know why. I just kept trying and found out what works for me. I don't fall anymore in the sand.
2001 KDX220
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: KDX Sand Handling

Post by turtle »

Go fast and keep your weight back seems to work best for me. And +1 on the wet sand ... fun!
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
2011 Triumph Tiger 1050 SE