what should i run for sprockets??

Got questions? We got answers....
hbgod

Post by hbgod »

ok so im rebuilding my 87 kdx and i was wondering what i should run for sprockets.
on it right now is 15/48. i have never ridden the bike so i dont rlly know the feel for that setup. but i ride tight trails, sandpits, and sometimes long open powerlines.
i do however love to climb crazy hills. just looking for some great all around power. top speed isnt a big issue
If you ain't Mixin Gas, You ain't Haulin Ass!
KDXjack
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: what should i run for sprockets??

Post by KDXjack »

i don't know about that year but I'm running 13/50 on my '05 in the tight woods. If i were riding more open terrain I'd change to 13/47. 15 on the front seems really big to me.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

what was stock, can you find out?

Stock is usually a pretty good choice.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by canamfan »

I'm running 13/50 works good for tight trails.
hbgod

Post by hbgod »

idk what stock is this is how i got the bike. howevever the whole bike seems stock other then the pipe.
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

stock is 13/48, one tooth lower geared than the H model. KDX's have a low first gear, so stock will work well for an experienced rider for most situations - I use this bike for really slow rough rocky creek beds and such, and the stock gearing isn't an issue.

I ran 13/47 for one ride (I used an H model rear sprocket) and the rev up in 6th was a little too slow - I ended up with a 13/48 which seems to work a tad better. 15/48 is way tall.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
hbgod

Post by hbgod »

thx guys. think im gonna do a 13/48
treelimb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by treelimb »

i have a 13/49 set up on my 1987 and it seemed to be the ticket.i was gong back to the 48 but bought my 1997. granted i haven't ridden(the '87) in a long while but as for gearing,it worked well on the all you want ne alabama trails i ride but seemed to lack that little extra on top end as my skills improved. my 1997 kdx 200 has stock gearing stock @13/47,and it is sooo much better than the 13/50 that i bought it with. but then i have the rad valve,pro circuit pipe/both brands silencer,no toil filter,air box lid gone,and lots of seat time. you just can not beat stock gearing with lots of seat time imho.had lots of seat time on the '87 too.

kdx's lug well with stock gearing imo when set up properly.i honestly think that the 87 will outrun my 97.i think you will be fine with stock gearing and suspension set up properly on that 87.