Broken clutch casting

Got questions? We got answers....
mud99

Broken clutch casting

Post by mud99 »

Hey guys, i'm the new owner of a 1991 KDX 250. Traded a pinball machine for it, mostly because it reminded me of the big kits version of the 1980-something Kawasaki 80 I had as a kid.

Anyway, I was removing the clutch cable to replace it, and the casting which hold the clutch cable snapped - which is a big problem!

Anyone have a solution other than replacing the crankcase? Some sort of bracket or something? I have the piece which snapped off, but I'm guessing it can't be welded.

Mark
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Broken clutch casting

Post by SS109 »

It can be welded. Just find someone who has experience welding aluminum.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Broken clutch casting

Post by rbates9 »

I cant remember who made it and for what, but there used to be a little bracket that you could buy that would go on with a couple of the case bolts and it would come up to remount the cable when the casted mount broke. :hmm: Something like that might work as well.
mud99

Broken clutch casting

Post by mud99 »

I just bought the left side crankcase on ebay for $50, so i'm thinking I might as well just change it.

Motor is still on the original top end from 20 years ago, so i'm thinking it might be time for a rebuild as well, and I have to do the clutch, and I don't think the coolant was ever changed.

I've never rebuilt a motor before - but I have a rough idea of how to do it.

I know I'm going to need a seal kit, and a top end kit, what else do I need?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Broken clutch casting

Post by Julien D »

Cases should be bought and sold in matched sets. You may get lucky, or you may have a problem getting the mating surfaces to match. If you're splitting it, you may as well replace ALL the bearings in the transmission, as well as the main bearings and seals. While it's open, you will want to inspect the rod bearings and see if the crank needs attention. You will need a flywheel puller to remove the flywheel. Also, some sort of case splitter to split the cases in half. With some scrap metal, a drill press or good hand drill, and a handful of bolts you can make one. You can also purchase a "universal" one pretty reasonably.

P.S. A service manual will be the best money spent!
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Broken clutch casting

Post by rbates9 »

Julien D wrote:Cases should be bought and sold in matched sets. You may get lucky, or you may have a problem getting the mating surfaces to match. If you're splitting it, you may as well replace ALL the bearings in the transmission, as well as the main bearings and seals. While it's open, you will want to inspect the rod bearings and see if the crank needs attention. You will need a flywheel puller to remove the flywheel. Also, some sort of case splitter to split the cases in half. With some scrap metal, a drill press or good hand drill, and a handful of bolts you can make one. You can also purchase a "universal" one pretty reasonably.

P.S. A service manual will be the best money spent!
+1
the machinist
Supporting Member

Re: Broken clutch casting

Post by the machinist »

If you don't have local luck, ship it to me and I will weld it for free! I'm no hack you can check my website link.
Call it a 4th of july favor
-Matt
mud99

Post by mud99 »

Thanks for the favor matt. Will try and get it welded locally, I think shipping will cost too much.

I just read the case splitting guide, I don't think I'm going to do that!

I have a mig, I could try welding it myself, but would need to pick up a spool gun.

Also know someone with a TIG.

What type of wire should it be welded with?
the machinist
Supporting Member

Post by the machinist »

We use a 6061 blend and only TIG, I you MIG weld it you will not be happy.
-Matt