Repacking Silencer.

Got questions? We got answers....
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Repacking Silencer.

Post by jafo »

I have an FMF Turbine Core II Q silnecer. I'm trying to repack the silencer and was wondering how to get the silencer material out from the other end. It has three screws on the stinger end and then that part slides out. If you look into the shell, you can see the outlet part and some packing tucked around the outlet part. It looks like rivets hold that part in, but there is one screw on the bottom that I think helps hold the stinger in. What do you have to do to get that rest of the packing out? Drill the rivets and take it completely apart or just try to hook this stuff and pull it out? I tried with a long screw driver but the packing is to loose to get a good grip on, it just tears. The replacement packing from FMF is longer than the pack that comes out with the stinger end, so it leads me to believe that the left over packing still in there has to come out. Any ideas????????

Jon.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Hook it, pull it, stuff it! :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I like to take it all apart myself

Easier to despooge

Not the same S/A but does not seem much different

Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Jon's is different than yours Wibs... The cap has packing, yours doesn't.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Yeah, my Answer is like that. PITA!!! The stock silencer is never leaving my KDX.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

If the cap is packed just take 'er off!

Takin' stuff apart is fun!
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Well, I took mr. Wibbens advice and took it all apart. There was a point where I asked myself why the hell I tried this. But it all worked out and it was a good thing I did take it all apart. There was small little black rocks back behind the packing at the end of the pipe. I figured it was a mix of dirt and smooge. I cleaned it all up and put it back together with self threading screws and it worked out great. Now next time it won't be so hard to get apart and I'll know exactly how to do it.

Jon.
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Oh the internal parts look axactly the same as Mr. Wibbens but mine has the chrome piece on the back at the pipe outlet.

Jon.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Glad it all worked out!

:partyman:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Right On~~!!!! :supz:

Jon.
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Fuzzy - Stock silencer is staying on our KDX also. My older boy runs a KDX 200 with rev pipe and TC2 silencer and I'm not sure there is any real performance gain with the TC2 other than lighter weight.

My younger boy's KDX 200 (w/PC2 pipe) seems to come close in the over-rev department to the FMF rev pipe; maybe the larger canister volume is helping.?? One day I'll have to slip the TC2 on the PC2 pipe and see if I can notice a difference in the grunt department. Definately do not miss packing another silencer!!
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

The way I left the silencer, it should be alot easier the next time around.

I was reading somewhere that the chamber design has more affect than anything else on pipes. It's how the sound rezonates back to the cylinder from the pipe bulge area that creates the extra power gains. The sound waves created in the chamber actually helps the intake and exhaust breathing. I guess technicaly it is the size also but it's also the chamber design too.

Jon.
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

so i have read this thread and am going through the same problem. I think you guys are saying drill out the rivets right? then go get some self threading screws to replace rivets? can i get these at any hardware store and are they expensive? thanks
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Take the parts into a GOOD hardware store like TrueValue or Ace. Not Home Depot or Lowe's or any other place that hires high school girls who couldn't answer a question such as yours and then force you to do your own check-out.
A real man, who has experiance using real hardware and tools will provide assistance at a smaller store. Those stores are usually a franchise and the owner is likely to be the person helping you find what you need. That's what I do. That way, you will end up with the right hardware; perhaps stainless steel instead of tin junk as well.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|QBB<[/url]
kdx220freak wrote: I think you guys are saying drill out the rivets right? then go get some self threading screws to replace rivets?
or you could get a rivet tool

They are really simple to replace
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

are they expensive or would it be cheaper to replace the rivets with the self threading screws??
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

wow those are pretty cheap, guess i got to go to ace.!!!
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Harbor Freight rocks....
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

ok well i got another question cause im working on it right now!! I got the four rivets out and i cant seem to get the insides or the tip off. Im not sure were to try to bang it out. Cause im really trying to get the thing aprt today. If anyone can help please please do!! I also made sure nothing is blocking it, the rivets are completly out but i dont know how or what i should hit to bang it out.