Power Valve cover bolts snapped off in cylinder

Got questions? We got answers....
Max96

Post by Max96 »

and missing the drain plug too. Was wondering why the tranny was dry. :?

Greetings everybody. Forum newbie, long time motorcyclist. This 1st post could be long...

My buddy picked up a 1991 KDX 200 for me last night, he said it looked good, started 1st kick (when kickstarter actually engages), ran fine. We knew the rear wheel was super loose, looked like it needs a thorough spoke re-tighten or spoke replacement, no biggie. Get it home today, dirty and greasy as heck. After a scrubdown (needs another one), I gave it a thorough once over. Thats when I noticed the tranny was dry. Looked underneath, there is a black rubber plug with a pop rivet in the middle where the drain plugs should be. Ok.. will use a heli coil or self tapping +1. Then I see black electric tape around the right side power valve cover? Peel it off and I spy the damage. I can try and drill/ez out the snapped bolts but overall the thing looks bad. Only the 1 bottom screw is holding the cover on, the top two are snapped off in the cylinder. How hard of a fix is this? Advice please?
2002 KDX 200
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Welcome!

Small broken bolts in an aluminum part is no fun. At all. First drill the bolts out at least to try an easy out. once you have the hole drilled you may need some heat around the hole to loosen it up. Good luck.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Invest in good easy outs, and DO NOT substitute a harbor freight tool in this case...EXPERIENCE HERE ;) LH drill bits are handy too. A touch of heat is handy with dissimilar metals also.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project