RH case

Got questions? We got answers....
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

RH case

Post by Dekon »

So I went to fire up my CL Special 1989 and it would only kick over like once out of ten tries. It seems like the kicker is not engaging all the time. I have two questions:

1. Anyone have any idea on what I should look for?
2. When I remove the RH case, do I have to take out the water pump and clutch assembly?

Thanks for the help.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: RH case

Post by Julien D »

Nope, you won't have to pull the water pump out, it will stay in the inner RH cover. There is a ratchet gear assembly with a small spring to push the two ratcheting gears together. One or more of these three parts is probably worn out and needs to be replaced. I think you will have to remove the clutch to get it out. Can't remember if it's possible to squeeze it out of there with the clutch in the way.
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

RH case

Post by Dekon »

Thanks Julien, so basically I can just remove the hoses for the pump and the whole cover will come off?
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

RH case

Post by Dekon »

Well, I go to take the case off and low and behold the kicker is rusted to the shaft. The two pullers that I have are to thick to reach around the back of the kicker. Anyone have any suggestions before I go and try to get a new puller?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Soak down with some penetrating oil, pb blaster or similar. Let sit a couple hours. Use a screwdiver or small prybar to put gentle pressure behind the kick start boss, and gently tap the shaft with a mallet or hammer. Please make note of the word "gentle"!
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

RH case

Post by Dekon »

Well the kicker has been soaking and being blasted with penetrating oil every few hours for 3 days now and it still will not budge. Even as a last resort, I heated it with a torch and still a no go. Looks like I am going to have to cut the kicker off.
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

If the nut is off, I'd try forcing naval jelly rust remover into the splines first. Keep at it, it will dissolve the rust. Try to clean out any oil first tho'.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

RH case

Post by Dekon »

I am going to try some Kroil next. A few people I know swear by this stuff. Hopefully it will work. If not naval jelly is going to be my last hope. After that, it is cut off the kicker time.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

RH case

Post by KDXGarage »

I'd check ebay to see which of the two is cheaper (shaft or kickstart knuckle).
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
factoryX

RH case

Post by factoryX »

I had this happen with a motor mount bolt that went through the cases on my atc250r, just keep hitting with a torch and pb blaster should break lose after a point.