200 exhaust yrs

Got questions? We got answers....
KDX200Diesel

200 exhaust yrs

Post by KDX200Diesel »

i have a 90 kdx 200 and i want a new pipe and muffler cause my pipe has bad carbon build up i mean bad it was thick at the head i was wonder what yr pipes i can use i think i read 89-94???can some clarify this
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

200 exhaust yrs

Post by rbates9 »

Have you tried burning out the pipe with a torch? I think I saw a YouTube video on it. Pretty much you just stick a torch in the pipe and let it burn out the crap.

I have also cleaned my pipe by using parts washer solvent and a brush to get as much as you can out then dump the solvent out bring it outside and light it on fire. As it burns you might even hear a little crackling of the carbon breaking up. After a burn cycle MAKE SURE IT'S OUT then wash is again and see what you have.
KDX200Diesel

Re: 200 exhaust yrs

Post by KDX200Diesel »

i thought bout cleaning it but its so much and i saw a couple fmf pipe for fairly cheap if i bought one of those and i got bad i would clean an fmf but not a stock and i also need an muffler mine is the fmf racing muffler and it doesnt have a spark arrestor
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Get a stranded wire and put it in a drill. Wear a dust mask and give 'er hell. DO IT WAAAY outside!!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDX200Diesel

Post by KDX200Diesel »

hm i may try that i would try a torch but my dads torch went out so
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

200 exhaust yrs

Post by KDXGarage »

I used a propane torch (the kind you get at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.). It helped some, but just brute force worked better (scraping or the spinning wire ends).

STOP the drill before removing the wire! It will flail around something fierce!! Use a long piece, not a short piece. A 3' section at a Lowe's etc is under $4, I think.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

200 exhaust yrs

Post by Julien D »

If you're running the stock pipe, it's worth upgrading anyway. You are correct on the 89-94 year range. The factory spark arrestor is actually quite nice. Not sure if that's what you still have on your bike, but if so it's worth cleaning and repacking.