Street legal KDX in MA? Has anyone done it?

Got questions? We got answers....
Faint333
Supporting Member

Post by Faint333 »

I'm just curious if anyone has made a KDX legitimately street legal in the state of Massachusetts. I know of many bikes that have street plates but aren't technically legal for streets... which actually confuses me, what exactly is an offroad bike with a headlight and tail light that is plated able to legally do?

On the RMV website I found a listing of requirements for the motorcycle safety inspection. Here are most of the ones regarding lighting. http://www.mass.gov/rmv/inspect/540cmr4/sec406b.htm

I wonder how in depth to these requirements they go... seeing as it's MA I can only imagine...

My brother has told me that it is possible to get VT plates even while living out of state for a dirt bike? I wonder if that issues a title for road and if then it's able to be converted to MA street title...

Oh btw, my brother was able to find a 1984 red KDX200 on craigslist out in CA and it is on it's way to his place. I'll get pics up as soon as he gets it delivered. I can't wait to ride it!
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

You should be able to do the VT registration thru the mail. They don't care, they'll take anyones money. :wink: Inspection is where you will run into problems.
nab

Post by nab »

I am planning on doing the same to my kdx, I live in ma next to lowell. I'll make a list of what you need

-Keyed ignition
-Directionals
-D.O.T tires
-Horn
-Headlight + Taillight (obviously)
-Spark Arrestor

Oh and reg'ing in VT or having someone do it in NH for you is the way to go. Just play dumb at the dmv when you go to reg it in ma.

Technically for the headlight in MA you need a high and low beam, My answer to that is find a good inspection station..... :lol:

Already talked to me local inspection guy, I have a ufo headlight that the PO installed he told me to make one side go out and turn on separate from the other.

As for the spark arrestor if you have the stock silencer your good to go, otherwise maybe get creative and jam something in the aftermarket silencer?
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

nab wrote: Technically for the headlight in MA you need a high and low beam, My answer to that is find a good inspection station..... :lol:

popping wheelies doesnt count as "highbeam" ? :lol:
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
Koko

Re: Street legal KDX in MA? Has anyone done it?

Post by Koko »

Living in Mass...I find this really intriguing. I'm confused how vermont works though? Do you need a VT address?
nab

Post by nab »

diymirage wrote:
nab wrote: Technically for the headlight in MA you need a high and low beam, My answer to that is find a good inspection station..... :lol:

popping wheelies doesnt count as "highbeam" ? :lol:

I wish :lol:

I have not personally registered anything in VT as I live so close to the NH border that I just have friends Reg stuff for me. But I have looked into it and it appears that you can be a non resident of vermont and register motorcycles there. Anything under 500cc that is two wheeled is exempt from vin verification and titling regardless of age in VT so you just fill out the registration for send it in, and you get plates and a nice sheet of paper in the mail a few weeks later. When you go to fill out the reg forms you will notice that they ask what state you live in for both your residence and mailing address.
Koko

Post by Koko »

But then there's that insurance piece too. Wonder how that would work. But this whole idea is very cool.

Sent from my mobile device with horrible battery life.
nab

Post by nab »

You dont need insurance in vermont so you can reg it without insurance then you just buy insurance when you reg it in mass.
gregp

Post by gregp »

I live in MA, and my 2004 KDX 200 is bona-fide titled, registered, insured, and inspected. No problem, really. And I have helped at least one other MA forum member do the same. I will not post the information, though. E-mail at gplassmann@yahoo.com for more info.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

nab wrote:You dont need insurance in vermont so you can reg it without insurance then you just buy insurance when you reg it in mass.
That is not true. You do need to have insurance in VT, but not to register anything. When you go to get an inspection they check your insurance and if you get pulled over they also want to see your insurance cards.
gregp

Post by gregp »

rbates9 is correct. In fact, if you do get a VT registration, you will see on the very bottom of the page something like "It is now your responsibility to get insurance".
It is just that, in MA, you have to get insurance first, before you can register anything. In Vt, they will register the vehicle, but leave that part up to you.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
Thack

Post by Thack »

The Vermont forms say 300cc and under is exempt from title procedures. They still ask for the VIN though.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Thack wrote:The Vermont forms say 300cc and under is exempt from title procedures. They still ask for the VIN though.

You need to provide a VIN anywhere you register anything. In VT they have a process of "Verifying the VIn" that requires you to take the vehicle to the DMV and have some one go out and read the VIN and compare it to the paperwork or have a sharif come to you and fill out a verification form to bring to DMV. As far as the CC limit it seems to change, the last time I looked into it they were saying it was 200cc or less. But that was a few years ago and I didn't look that hard into it.
Faint333
Supporting Member

Post by Faint333 »

Very cool, so since my frame is VIN for kx125 even if it were for 200cc and under I could pass by? They don't need to know about the 220 swapped in right? haha
gregp

Post by gregp »

Under 300cc. Fact.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
Thack

Post by Thack »

So the question is... Can the seller and buyer reside out of state and still apply for Vermont registration? Is there someone from this forum in VT that can be the "surrogate" seller if VT requires a resident?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

If you live close enough to VT I would just take everything (paper work) to the motor vehicle office and walk in like you own the place and they will most likely just register it for you.

I know of a few NY residents that have nothing to do with anything from VT that have registered cars in VT with a NY address.

But one thing to be cautious about is that some times if your "purchase price" on the forms is too low they may want to charge book value of the bike for the tax purpose. And from the people that I know that have run into that it tends to be about 3x what the vehicle is worth on a good day. Like they may want to tax your KDX as being worth $3500.

If you live too far to drive there just do it by mail.