what mods should be next

Got questions? We got answers....
parker72001

what mods should be next

Post by parker72001 »

okay, i ride a bone stock '04 kdx 220 am getting a new piston next month. the only mod i have on it right now is a twelve tooth sprocket. what should i get after the piston, just making sure i need to get the wiseco piston, wristpin bearings, and cometic top end gasket set. while i have the head off and everything is there anything i should look at, i also am going to buy some xr400 .38 springs from sluggo at the beginning of september, are those mods enough for right now, i don't ride a lot now but next summer we will have a trailer and will be riding a lot more, i want a pipe because it's shiny, but also need to get some riding gear. i have boots but need pants jersey and some better gloves, i'm probably going to get the kawasaki gear but hopefully i can get it for christmas! i kind of want to get one of those speedometers and i need to get an led light and possibly my lighting coil rewound, anyway if you can decipher any of this random rambling please tell me :lol: :boogie: :please:
Parker Woods, 20 years old,
'04 KDX 220R
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Well...the deciphering is kind'a tough, actually......

R/R the piston is good insurance. I congratulate you on THAT choice vs: using the money for something 'shiny'.

You didn't mention rings for that piston..but I'm sure that's on the list.

Other than verifying the KIPS is indeed working properly, I wouldn't be taking apart a few months old powervalve. Other opinion likely varies.

Suspension improvement is a wise choice, too. Respringing the frontend of the KDX is a very good choice on the list of 'mods'. Do NOT, NOT use the stock spring spacers. Honda XR springs will be in the neighborhood of 530mm in length, the oem springs are 470mm or so. You will need to fashion your own spacers out of 1" PVC. Schedule40 preferably.

Gear? Get everything you can afford!! You don't mention a chest protector. Twice just this year I've been in situations where one of them very likely saved a life. No kidding!

Maybe you feel like a goon all dressed up in battle gear...but it's cool when a 5yr old kid wants to talk to you 'cuz he thinks you're a PowerRanger. :wink:

..and it will save your bacon sooner or later!

When you are setup with gear and suspension..consider some carb work. The 220 comes with a 33mm carb, and that throttles (as in gags) the engine a good bit. Either a KDX200 carb (35mm) or having RBD modify your carb will be a BIG 'go-fast' mod.

Have fun!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Add some new reeds to the list as well. A set of 607 Torque reeds will make a nice bit of difference as well.

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
parker72001

Post by parker72001 »

You will need to fashion your own spacers out of 1" PVC. Schedule40 preferably

what is schedule40, the rings come with the piston kit from RM. believe me, a chest protector is on the list, just didn't write it down, i've always wanted to be a power ranger, SWEET!!! :lol: :boogie:

morie, about the reeds, RBD said on his website that Boyesen Pro series reeds would do good with the card mod, i don't know but i'm sure he would, they cost more but would they be worth it?
thanks
parker
Parker Woods, 20 years old,
'04 KDX 220R
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

607s are less$$ and work well according to most that use'm. Just IMO, but I'd say the Boyesen pro (carbon) reeds would be a better choice for the 2-hunny than the 220. Either would be an improvement..not huge..but 'some'. A Mototassinari DF3 would be even better...imo and all that (remember..everybody has one!!).

Schedule40 is the thicker PVC (white polyvinyl chloride pipe used in water supply plumbing). 'Thicker' meaning around .120" or so, thicker than the other choice of PVC pipe..schedule20. You can get a piece of it from your local plumbing/electrical supply for pennies. You will need something on the order of two pieces (one each fork)..but each only 1/4-1/2" or so long.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

>|<>QBB<
parker72001 wrote:Y
what is schedule40, the rings come with the piston kit from RM. believe me, a chest protector is on the list, just didn't write it down, i've always wanted to be a power ranger, SWEET!!! :lol: :boogie:

morie, about the reeds, RBD said on his website that Boyesen Pro series reeds would do good with the card mod, i don't know but i'm sure he would, they cost more but would they be worth it?
Schedule 40 is a rating for PVC pipe. You can buy it at any hardware store. You might be able to get some scraps for free if you ask around.

Riding gear is a good thing. My wife hates when I say this but you dress for the crash...its not a matter of if your going to wipe out, its when your going to wipe out. Wear as much as you can afford. Get the basics and then upgrade a piece at a time.

I've got the Pro Series Carbon Fiber reeds and they do make a difference but I think the 607 which cost less work better at the lower end and hold up a little better than the carbon fiber jobbers. Any reeds are going to work better than the stockers though, especially if you get a larger carb or get RBD to work over your 33mm.

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

airbox lid removal
one often overlooked thing is proper tools
Motion Pro torque wrench adapter (since you are doing the top end)

canyncavr, Wiseco piston kits come with:

piston
rings
circlips
wristpin

no small end bearing
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

If you call Jeff Fredette and tell him you are doing the top end, he will sell you everything you need and nothing you don't. There are gaskets to the top end mod as well as the reed change-out to consider. I called Jeff when I changed my KDX220 piston out. He was great to talk to, a legend. I got every part needed. I already said that, didn't I? But I know someone who ordered some stuff from Scotts and thought they would get everything they needed too. Jeff knows KDX. He will keep you and your bike out on the trails. Just don't get a port job done by him. :lol: :blink: :sad: sorry CC.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Just don't get a port job done by him. sorry CC.

???????????
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Carvr sent his barrel in and, while it ran fine, for some reason he had tons of spooge. All the jetting in the world wouldn't get it cleaned up, and before he sent it in, the bike only had a small amount of ash at the tail pipe. Brad's (AKA CC, AKA Carvr) having Jeff set up a new barrel for him that is stock and KIPS components installed. I don't know if it was on an exchange or if he's going to keep or sell the offending drooler.

****EDIT****
Well, maybe not "fine". He had some problems with detonation/pinging unless using a mix with race fuel. Then he lost bottom end performance with the race gas. The race gas did help with the spooge but at a cost to low end performance.
Last edited by skipro3 on 10:08 am Aug 17 2005, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
gwhII

Post by gwhII »

I was thinking about it and mods that I would suggest:

rad BRACES (rads are expensive and easily breakable) - I've got works connection
bark busters ( gotta protect your hands as your speed increases, also it'll make your bar sturdier thanks to the extra bracing) - I've got Answer but then there's Moose, UFO, etc.
Aluminum bars
frame guards - I like the protection for the rear brake M/C and I've got works connection there too.
Skid plate - something with ears to protect the water pump. WC used to have a good one but they stopped selling it. I think it's Utah (Montana?) cycles has an offroad version now that protects the bottom end.

Three other things that aren't mods for the bike but I think are very helpful:

Good tools to work on the bike - Craftsman/Husky minimum quality - 6pt sockets and 6pt combination wrenches, decent hex wrenches, screw drivers, small breaker bar or long-handled ratchet. You or your family may already have these but I came from a family where I was the one who liked mechanical stuff so Dad didn't really have tools and even now he buys crap.

Good bolt kit for your KDX. I bought a kit off of EBay and that has come in handy.

When you do get your trailer or even now in the back of a pickup - GOOD tie downs. Walmart used to have some decent tie downs but the last set I bought were crap and I took them back. I bought some MSR tie downs and the webbing and buckles are quality. There are other brands that look good too.

-G
Last edited by gwhII on 11:28 am Aug 17 2005, edited 1 time in total.
'03 KDX200 -Mine
'03 CRF230 - Daughter's
'03 XR100R - Son's
'02 CBR600F4i - Street
'63 Seagrave 531B, '42 Seagrave Aerial
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

>|<>QBB<
gwhII wrote: When you do get your trailer or even now in the back of a pickup - GOOD tie downs. Walmart used to have some decent tie downs but the last set I bought were crap and I took them back. I bought some MSR tie downs and the webbing and buckles are quality. There are other brands that look good too.
A related note on tie down straps and towing in the back of a pickup. My father-in-law was towing his quad in bed of his pickup and didn't tie the excess strap up very well. It came loose, got sucked between the bed and the cab and wrapped around the driveshaft. In a very short period of time the strap seperated at the buckle and turned into a whip. This then shattered
the rear window. The moral of the story is tie up your excess strap!

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
gwhII

Post by gwhII »

>|<>QBB<
m0rie wrote: The moral of the story is tie up your excess strap!

-Maurice
Amen. I also hate the end fraying. Makes them last longer.

-G
'03 KDX200 -Mine
'03 CRF230 - Daughter's
'03 XR100R - Son's
'02 CBR600F4i - Street
'63 Seagrave 531B, '42 Seagrave Aerial
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Yeah, I had a simplar fiasco once. I did tie the excess up, but not good enough. I didn't notice it, and it wrapped around the axle/hub of the trailer. Ended up pluuing the bike over to one side. Luckily I was making a turn, and wasn't at HW speed!!! I was able to pull over and get it straightened out. Another 100 ft and my bike would've been on the street for sure.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Regarding a skid plate. I bought a "MOOSE" skid plate and that has the wings like mentioned. I paid some where around $60 + for it. And it bolts ups easy. I have husky and craftsman tools. I have come to the conclusion that "HUSKY" tools are crap for the most part. I have returned numerous rachets and they continue to break. Go for the "CRAFTSMAN"
Just my 2 cents
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
FLAKDX
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by FLAKDX »

I actually like Husky tools. There pro series wrenchs and sockets are second to none and are just as cheap as craftsman with the lifetime warrantee. You are correct about there ratchets though. I have both the cheap husky ratchets and the pro series ones. The cheapies that come with the sockets sets are far superior to pro series ones.

On that note I buy my ratchets from Matco as well as my screw drivers. Worth the extra money for the quality of the product if you use them allot. Matco, Strap-on and Mac Tools are all out of there mind when it comes to the prices of sockets and wrenchs though :blink:
03 220R
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Mods needed are:
Piston and rings (220)
Suspension
Jetting
Tires
Pipe
Armor

Then you will have a good mount!

TOOLS
You have to keep in mind that when it comes to using tools for your living, Snap-On and MAC are the only way to go. They are meant for extreme use where Craftsman and Husky aren't.

I use Craftsman exclusively because they are redily available. But, I have taken ratchets back for replacement and at times they give me crap for a replacement. Their replacement policies have went downhill in my opinion. Now you get rebuilt tools and they get by with this because they change designs all the time. So now I take care of my "old" Craftsman ratchets and use my crap replacements for the extreme use.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Where do Husky tools come from, Home Depot?

I think the socket and wrench prices are real high at Snap-On, too.

How are you guys breaking ratchets?? I have never broken one.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

You're lucky. Inda is right the new craftsman ratchets are junk. I wore one out in a few months. They have plastic internals!!!
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

My ratchets came in a $99 (YOU GUESSED IT) 6-point socket set that I bought around Christmas of 2000. If it is something that is tight, I try to use my breaker bar. I love that thing! :prayer: