Weight and height cutoff for a KDX?

Got questions? We got answers....
Koko

Post by Koko »

I'm thinking about changing my approach to getting a kdx. At first I was thinking buy a project bike. But now I'm thinking I may pay a little more for less of a "project" bike. That being said....I'm a bit worried about my fitment on the bike. I haven't ridden a dirt bike since 1991 ish when I was sporting an RM125. Other than street bikes, all my riding since then has been on quads. I fit great on my Brute Force quad. But will I be comfortable on a KDX? I'm 6'2 250lbs. I'm not a big tub goo. I'm an athletic guy. I sat on my CR250 the other day and it felt small. Cramped in terms of peg to seat height.

From what I read, the KDX seems like it's a tall bike...that's good for me. But will it handle my weight for trail riding and be comfortable. I won't be airing the bike out.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Weight and height cutoff for a KDX?

Post by diymirage »

im 6'2 215
i can NOT put both feet flat on the ground while on the bike

now, if you are over 140 you need to get the bike resprung anyway
so with a proper fork job it should fit you just fine
(i do sit rather far back on the saddle, but that might just be my riding style)
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
Koko

Post by Koko »

Is the rear shock decent? Just the fork needs to be resprung?
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

The fork and shock will both need to be resprung. I am 6'1" and 230#. I run a 5.5 rear spring and it may be a touch too much for me. I have DRZ front forks, and I think they are .44. YZ shock springs will fit, and the used ones are pretty reasonable on Fleabay.

I find the KDX has a low seat height compared to other machines, like you said, but that actually makes it easier to ride in difficult terrain. Or you could get tall seat foam. The stock cover is supposed to fit tall foam, but i have yet to verify that.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
Koko

Post by Koko »

Thank you for the replies.

Is a rear spring swap do it your self? What about forks. Only thing I've ever done is swap shock springs on my Brute force. That was simple.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Both are relatively easy jobs.
Koko

Post by Koko »

I was searching earlier. Maybe I wasn't using the right phrases. But is there a detailed write up and/or any special tools needed. I got a quote of $800 from Factory Connection for them to do all the work. I'd much rather learn and do it myself. Saving a good chunk of money.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

That price sounds like a rebuild + re-valve + re-spring. Just changing out springs is easy cheesy. Nothing more than a service manual and some decent tools needed. If you check the suspension section here, or some of the rebuild threads, you'll find pictures and info.
Koko

Post by Koko »

Great...I want to go the easy cheesy route first. Then again...I just need someone to buy my Elka's off the Brute so I can go get my KDX.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I'm 6'1 and around 235#. I like the way the bike fits. I still have the stock rear spring and it works ok for me. I'm sure the correct spring would make a difference but I have just been going with it. I put on a set of KX250 forks and left the stock 250 springs in them and they seem to be just about right for me and the way I ride.

If you are looking to do work on the front forks than you may want to look into the fork swap as an alternative. If you shop around and can wait a little bit you can come across a good set of USD forks pretty cheap and they might even have the right springs, or at least closer to what you need. The (KX) 250's tend to have heavier springs that a (KX) 125 would stock.
SCREAM

Post by SCREAM »

6'5" 240lbs here. I feel right at home on my '02 200. Love that comfortable seat!