Rear hub bearings/seals

Got questions? We got answers....
vlxk98

Rear hub bearings/seals

Post by vlxk98 »

Hello all, great forum.
I recently returned to the dirt bike world from street bikes. I rescued a '95 KDX200 that had been pretty badly neglected.
I the process of replacing the rear wheel bearings I have run into a snag.

I sourced the bearings from a local bearing house. The brand was the same as the OE bearings. I ordered OE seals from Ron Ayers.

I did the bearings in the freezer trick and both sides went in without much trouble. Both bearings are seated against their internal stops and the spacer tube is positioned between them with very little side to side play.

The problem is the seal on the left side. There isn't enough of the bore exposed for the seal to seat. There is maybe 1/2 the depth needed. The bearing on the right side is barely inside the lock ring groove but seated firmly, the left side went in as far as it would go. It sounded very solid when driven in.

Has this happened to anyone else?
Deseret Rider
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Re: Rear hub bearings/seals

Post by Deseret Rider »

You might want to double check those bearing numbers----easily done on the Rocky Mtn. site------http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/

As I recall both bearings are of similar width on my 200 but its a much newer model than yours. From what I can tell looking at the picture----the '95 version has two different bearings and seals to fit the rear wheel. See here:http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/44/ ... earing-Kit

Do you still have the old bearings and seals that came out ? Compare those to what you are installing now.
The Duck of Deseret (Deseret was Utah's first name)
vlxk98

Post by vlxk98 »

I do not have the old bearings anymore. I did compare the two old ones to the new ones and would have been able to tell a difference I think.

The OEM fische on RMATV and Ron Ayers show two bearings of the same part number and two seals of the same part number for the rear hub.

I think the Pivot Works picture on RMATV is one of those, "for reference only" kind of things because the seals for sure are the same diameter on both sides of the hub.

I'm stumped for now.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Rear hub bearings/seals

Post by Slick_Nick »

Make sure the seal isn't too thick. I believe it's supposed to be a 5mm.
'00 KDX 220R
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Rear hub bearings/seals

Post by rbates9 »

Maybe put the wheel back on with out the seals, but with the spacers on the axle and see how it fits in there. Then maybe tighten the axle down and see if the bearings go in any further?
Cha Ching

Post by Cha Ching »

I used a set of pivot works, front and rear, and they went in well.